Op-eds

Gladstone ’18: A new low in the Israel/Palestine conversation

Op-Ed Contributor
Monday, November 30, 2015

In Faunce, there is a small memorial to the innocent people whose lives have been lost in terror attacks across the world in the last few days. Someone wrote on it a list of countries and cities that have been affected, mourning the civilian losses in “Pakistan, Paris, Beirut, Japan, Baghdad, Syria, Tunisia, Ankara, Silvan, Nigeria, Russia, Korea, Mexico, Israel.” Last Saturday, the last country on that list was scribbled over in permanent marker, as if to say that Israeli civilians are not worth mourning.

While anti-Israel sentiment is not new to Brown’s campus, this feels like a low that needs to be addressed. The recent murder of 18-year-old Ezra Schwartz — who was studying for the year in Israel but who grew up in Sharon, Massachusetts, just a half-hour drive from Brown’s campus — in a terrorist shooting was a shock to many in the Brown community. While I did not know him well, many students here did, and his death hits very close to home for many of us. My little brother grieves the loss of one of his summer camp counselors and personal friends. To cross Israel off that list is to suggest that those on this campus, some of whom had very personal relationships with Ezra, do not have the right to mourn. It should be noted that the two others murdered in the same attack were one Israeli, Yaacov Don, and one Palestinian, Shadi Arafa.

More likely than not, whoever crossed off Israel meant to make a statement about Israeli government policy. It would never occur to them, however, to cross off Pakistan for its government’s collaboration with the Taliban and Al Qaeda, nor should it. Nor would it occur to them to cross off Paris because of the French government’s history of colonial rule and crimes against humanity, or even its current controversial interventions across Africa and the Middle East, and nor should it. They wouldn’t cross off Beirut over the Lebanese government’s discrimination against Palestinians, or its corruption and incompetence (which have brought the Lebanese people into the streets in protest), nor should they. Or Japan for its government’s increasingly militaristic policies under Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, or its attempts at erasing “comfort women” and other war crimes from Japanese history. Or Baghdad for the complicity of its government in ethnic cleansings perpetrated by the Popular Mobilization Units on which its U.S.-backed military depends. Or Syria for the genocide perpetrated by its government, or Russia for its government’s backing of that genocide, the annexation of Crimea, the suppression of LGBTQIA+ rights activists, etc. The list goes on.

I have never heard challenged Americans’ right to grieve for American civilian deaths in any context. The United States has led global colonialism for the past several decades, supports allies such as Saudi Arabia in massacring thousands in open bombardments of civilian marketplaces in Yemen (while America’s own drone strikes in that country show nearly total disregard for civilian life as well), and today fields a presidential candidate who unabashedly supports the registration of all people of a particular religious group with the government and several who wish to spurn refugees who come to this country’s shores based on their religious and ethnic backgrounds. For all of that and more, Americans are allowed to mourn their losses — and should be.

But Israel is singled out time and again on our campus, not just for reasoned criticism but also for such extreme hatred that those of us who value Israeli and Jewish lives have to defend our right to mourn civilian deaths.

One other issue that I noted was that whoever crossed off Israel did not also think to add Palestine to the list. During the clashes in Israel/Palestine over the past several weeks, many Israelis and Palestinians have been killed, and some, on each side, were civilians. I found myself scrawling “Palestine” on the top of that list, in mourning of the civilians who have died there.

The attacks all over the world have been horrific, and Brown should mourn all of the casualties. For someone to have so little respect for those on campus who are feeling the personal trauma of having lost a friend in some of these attacks, to single out one state among all others for aggressive condemnation, and to conflate the actions of a governing coalition with an entire people, is a testament to how uncritically Brown students tend to think about such a nuanced and challenging part of the world as Israel/Palestine. I hope we can all do better in the future.

Benjamin Gladstone ‘18 can be reached at benjamin_gladstone@brown.edu.

1. Thank you for writing this and bringing Brown’s anti-Israel sentiment to light. We have some VERY radical Pro-Palestine students on our campus. Some post on Facebook about sacrifice and martyrdom…as well as extreme hatred toward Israelis…I really think that should be on everyone’s radar. It’s disturbing to say the least. Scribbling “Israel” off the list is equally appalling, it should be a hate crime, and DPS should investigate this.

2. So you found a poster where someone scratched off Israel. And your entire post is this supposed outrage ?

Why don’t you go to the Hillel and ask for a map of Palestine and Israel ? Take a guess which country has been scratched off there. Where is/was your outrage over that. Or where is your outrage in one of your many columns in the Times of Israel over the openly racist rhetoric that emanates from Israel.

How many times have the Hillel and its minions acknowledged Israeli apartheid and its consequent ethnic cleansing of Palestinians – ZERO.

Benjamin, why don’t you start your next column in the “fair and balanced” Times of Israel raising such questions. Why spend all your time on all kinds of so called liberal issues, when you won’t raise a peep about Israeli apartheid ?

Oh b.t.w none of those other countries receive the amount of aid per capita from the US to continue and maintain its apartheid. So lets not pretend that we have no right to hold Israel to a standard , or rather any standard.

• You’re missing the point. For one, Gladstone never openly disagrees with the case you’re making, so you’re essentially building a straw man argument. Certainly there are some valid claims here about injustices carried out by Israel, but to suggest that the writer of this op-ed must also tackle EVERY one of these issues in one article is ridiculous. One can express outrage over a particular injustice without overlooking all other political injustices (to say otherwise sounds strikingly similar to the #AllLivesMatter rhetoric repeated by idiots who think #BlackLivesMatter is exclusionary).
      Second, Gladstone also explicitly expresses throughout his op-ed a right to sympathize with and mourn civilian deaths in many countries where social and political injustices are carried out by their own governments. Your comment suggests a unanimous and homogeneous view shared by ALL Jews, ALL Israelis, and even ALL members of Hillel, which is problematic in itself. This is the exact issue that Gladstone is getting it! That we should not condemn an entire country and preclude it from the privilege of sympathy and BASIC HUMAN DECENCY because its government carries out injustices.

very explicitly states throughout his op-ed that civilians

• I don’t miss the point. Gladstone is poster child for Liberal Except Palestine.

Read his posts on Times of Israel and you’ll discover that all the while he’s claiming his supposes liberal values and supposed concern for all civilians, he’s busy prevaricating about Israeli apartheid.

I did not propose or promote any view of homogeneity of thought among Jews/Israelis. I pointed to two great hypocrites when it comes to Palestinian civilians and the treatment they face under Israeli apartheid, the Hillel and Gladstone.

• The “Liberal Except Palestine” trope is an idiotic one that precludes basic reasoning. Being liberal does not inevitably insinuate that one must reject Israel in its entirety, and naturally this issue will be especially complicated for Jewish individuals. MANY liberal Jews identify with Israel while simultaneously maintaining fair criticism of Israel’s policies. You are very much homogenizing an entire group of people when you render support for Israel synonymous with false liberalism.

• Don’t feed the troll – mxm123 only shows up on BDH when the poster can wax on about evil Israel and innocent Arabs. Like the poster Arafat’s mirror image.

• Gosh Alum, i don’t have the Hillel and its minions to troll for me.

• No you do not. You also do not have a few other helpful things it seems. Nice icon photo though.

• At least i posses one thing that you don’t; the gumption to highlight Apartheid. Well coming to think of it, there’s more than one thing that you don’t posses.

• Orwellian Apartheid.

There is not one single non-Muslim citizen in Saudi Arabia.

Afghanistan once home to a thriving Buddhist civilization is now 100% Muslim. All the Buddhists were killed, fled or were forcibly converted.

Pakistan once home to a thriving and ancient Hindu civilization is soon-to-be devoid of all Hindus. Meanwhile the Muslim population in India is soaring.

Yemen once home to a large Jewish population now has a
            dozen, or so, Jews left living there. The same is true in Iraq and Morocco.

Sudan once home to a large Christian and Animist people has
            seen most of these people killed or fled or forcibly converted to Islam.

Iran once home to a large, historic Zoroastrian community is
            helping to ensure these ancient people are ethnically cleans. The same thing is happening to the Assyrians of Syria, the Chaldeans of Iraq, the Copts of Egypt….

Meanwhile the Muslim demographic in Israel is soaring.

Islamic propaganda, supported by unhinged professors,
            knee-jerk liberals, politicians who have sold their soul for the petrol dollar and student who don’t have a brain between them all tell us it IS Israel that practices apartheid.

Orwellian apartheid, that is.

• No it ain’t idiotic. Dancing around Israeli apartheid by supposed uber liberals like Gladstone is a well recognized tradition. Don’t pretend that its something new. Many Jews from JVP themselves call out such phonies.

• Grave human rights violations against religious and ethnic minorities have become increasingly commonplace in the Muslim world. Not only Jews are targeted, but, as the world has seen, Christians, Hindus, Baha’i, Alevis, Shi’as, Sunnis — and anyone who does not conform to some self-appointed person’s vision of
            Islam. Muslims are burned alive, Christians’ heads are cut off on a beach, a Christian couple in Pakistan is thrown alive
            onto a burning kiln, churches and Bibles are not allowed in Saudi
            Arabia, and there are sign-posted roads and turn-offs for anyone not Muslim. It is hard to get more “apartheid” than that.

Meanwhile, as Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) activists are busy bashing Israel, Yezidi children and women are raped by Islamic State (IS) terrorists, Iranian Kurds under torture are awaiting their executions, and Christians are sold into
            slavery or beheaded. Being persecuted has become an integral part of the daily lives of Christians all around the Muslim world. Yet where, from the groups that are always quick to condemn Israel, are the rallies, marches, flotillas or boycotts against these regimes and terrorists?

• Given that you support the Palestinians who openly advocate Jewish genocide (see their duly elected leaders clear-cut party covenants), you correspondingly do as well. It’s hard to believe in this day and age that anyone would openly advocate the liquidation of Jews, but you clearly do and it doesn’t seem to
          bother you a whit.

Moreover, it would be hard to believe that anyone would support second class status for women, the honor murder of teenage girls, the brutalization of gays and the suppression of dissenters. But you, as supporters of the Palestinians who regularly practice all of the above, are therefore complicit in these sexist, racist and fascist beliefs as well.

Why are you so bigoted, misogynist, anti-gay and such hater of Jews? Please tell us pray tell.

And if
          to be opposed to such garbage practiced by so many Muslims world-wide makes one
          an Islamophobe, count me and all who believe in freedom and hate sexism and
          bigotry vs Jews as a proud Islamophobe.

• Oh goody, is it a video on Nelson Mandela and his views on Israeli apartheid.

Wait let me check….

Oh no. Its the hasbara crowd again.

• mxm,

Sorry I must have missed the part where black South Africans
          periodically and indiscriminately fired rockets into civilian neighborhoods, kidnapped and executed teenagers on the way home from school, danced in the streets to celebrate a meat-cleaver attack on a group of innocent men engaged in prayer, and elected a government committed to the complete destruction of those they didn’t like.

But aside from those small problems, the parallel you’re drawing makes perfect sense. May as well be interchangeable. (Sarc/off)

• There is no “Palestine”. There might have been, but they chose war instead-
      time and again:

The would-have-been “Palestinians” would have had a state IN PEACE in 1937 with the Peel Plan, but they violently rejected it.

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 1939 with the MacDonald White Paper, but they violently rejected it (and Jews would have even been restricted from BUYING land from Arabs).

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 1948 with UN 181, but they violently
      rejected it (and actually claimed that the UN had no such mandate!).

They could have had a state IN PEACE in Judea, Samaria, and Gaza from 1948-1967 without any Jews- because the Arabs had ethnically cleansed every last one; but they violently rejected it. In fact, that’s exactly when they established Fatah (1959) and the PLO (1964).

They could have had a state IN PEACE after 1967, but instead, the entire Arab world issued the Khartoum Resolutions:

A. No peace with Israel

B. No recognition of Israel

C. No negotiations with Israel

They would have had a state IN PEACE in 2000 with the Oslo Accords, but they
      violently rejected it- as always.

And as soon as Israel pulled every single Israeli out of Gaza, what did the
      would-have-been “Palestinians” do? They immediately started shooting thousands of missiles into Israeli population centers, they elected Hamas (whose official platform calls for jihad with no negotiations until Israel is destroyed) to
      rule them, and they have dug tunnels crossing into the Negev to kill and kidnap
      Israelis.

And even afterwards, Ehud Olmert made his subsequent generous offer that went far beyond even that of Barak. The would-have-been “Palestinians” rejected it.

They had many chances.

They threw them all away because destroying Israel was higher on their priority
      list. It still is.

Oh well. That’s their choice.

3. Here are a few “facts” by the compassionate Mr Gladstone in the “fair and balanced” Times of Israel.

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/settlements-or-terrorism-a-choice/

“Furthermore, in my view, the idea that settlement construction is part of an Israeli government plot to take over Palestinian land in support of a long-term “greater Israel” strategy is a construct that conveniently fits into a cynical narrative, but is not based in fact. ”

“In a more general sense, Israel has not built any new Jewish communities in the West Bank since the 1993 Oslo Accords. ”

Shall we laugh or cry. Or both.

4. ShadrachSmith says:

The problem

Islam tells believers that murdering kafir to politically advance the faith or faithful pleases their god. Some moslems have believed it and have been doing just that somewhere in the world every day since mohammed quit selling camels.

Some people say that’s not a ‘real’ problem, but it is to the people Jihadists murder.

5. Thank you! What a perfect response

6. Mendy Uminer says:

You are so right and you write with such eloquence!! Keep up standing up for the truth!

7. BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

Ezra Schwartz…..
    Was not just a student in Israel.
    He was delivering supplies to israeli soldiers in militarily occupied Palestinian Territories!
    Being an enemy combatant in a war zone aiding enemies is a far cry from what the Zionist hasbarists and misinformers want you to know.
    Maybe he shouldn’t have decided to help steal more Palestinian lands and he should have worked,instead, for peace and justice for Palestinians.

• So Ezra Schwartz assisted soldiers in occupied territories (who, by the way, or OBLIGED to serve so there’s a mess of far more complex issues behind the Zionist labels you spit) and thus deserves to die? Or perhaps you’re just arguing that we should not waste time mourning his death…or the deaths of anyone who contributes to some issue you disagree with. How very compassionate of you.

• ” there’s a mess of far more complex issues behind the Zionist labels ” – Quit deflecting on Israeli apartheid. That’s what Gladstone does, all the while claiming his “concern” about Palestinian and other civilians. He sounds like Netanyahu.

• Recognizing that most Israeli soldiers are not determined perpetrators of genocide is not a “deflection to Israeli Apartheid”. This is a crucial reality that is rarely discussed; the Israeli obligation to serve establishes a propaganda-guided culture that glorifies the military to Israelis (from birth) and American Jews alike, And while yes, many soldiers are required to serve in Palestinian territories, many others serve the purpose of protecting civilians from legitimate threats and bombings they constantly receive from neighboring countries. Clearly, it is a system I don’t entirely advocate. I am emphasizing the fact that we should not demonize Schwartz for contributing to a problematic system, and that it is incredibly unsympathetic and cruel to claim that we should not mourn the death of an innocent person for doing so.

• Question Israeli apartheid and the Hasbara crowd will drive straight to the “genocide” station. They conveniently miss the Israeli “apartheid” and “ethnic cleansing” stations.

While Israeli soldiers are protecting Israelis, they ARE imposing apartheid. They do what they are told. However big difference when it comes people like Gladstone who are hypocrites when they preach “concern” about civilians while prevaricating about apartheid.

• I have no problem conceding that Israeli soldiers impose apartheid, as it is not a policy I support. Netanyahu is a crazed maniac who does not represent the predominant views of Israeli citizens (though he does a scarily good job of convincing American Jews). Calling the apartheid an “ethnic cleansing” is really a stretch and blatantly untrue. This is not to deny the reality that racism exists there, just as it does in Russia and pretty much all of the countries Gladstone mentioned.

I don’t think it’s fair, however, to call Gladstone a hypocrite when he so openly declares that we should mourn innocent losses of all countries within this precise op-ed, regardless of the injustices imposed by their governments. It is incredibly hypocritical and defeatist to support Brown’s preclusion of Israel from deserving sympathy for its losses merely because you think one Jewish student at Brown has not shown adequate care for Palestinian losses. Not only is this evidently untrue, but it demonstrates a level of critical thinking that is sorely lacking from the discussion of Israel/Palestine on Brown’s campus. Being Jewish and sympathizing with Israel’s struggle does not make one immune to mourning those who suffer on both sides.

• While the Palestinian population in Israel grows at a rapid pace in the rest of the Middle East there is this…

++

The Palestinian expulsion from Kuwait or 1991 Palestinian
            exodus from Kuwait took place at the end of the Gulf War, when Kuwait expelled almost 450,000 Palestinians.[1] The policy which led to this exodus was a response to the alignment of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and the PLO with Saddam Hussein, who had earlier invaded Kuwait. The exodus took place during one week in March 1991, following Kuwait’s liberation from Iraqi occupation.
            The story received little media attention in the aftermath of the liberation of Kuwait.

The policy which led to this expulsion was a response to the
            alignment of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat and the PLO with Saddam Hussein, who had earlier invaded Kuwait. The expulsion took place during one week in March 1991, following Kuwait’s liberation from Iraqi occupation. On March 14, only 150,000 Palestinians were still residing in Kuwait, out of initial 450,000
            – many of them fearful for their fate.[4]

In total, Kuwait expelled 443,000 Palestinians.[1] Several
            Palestinians were killed by vigilante groups including some with links to the royal family.[5] With the completion of the exodus only 7,000 Palestinians remained.[1]

Kuwaitis said that Palestinians leaving the country could
            move to Jordan, and that most Palestinians held Jordanian passports.[4] No reports of where the Palestinans actually went to after the expulsion have appeared.

• Israel is the only country in the Middle East where true freedom of religion is practiced and then there is this…

++

To clarify: Wahhabism is the only officially recognized and allowed religion in Saudi Arabia. Other forms of Islam and other religions are banned and persecuted by the state.

Saudi Arabia is the only Islamic state in which there is no
          church, no synagogue and no other place of worship of any other religion.

Shiite Muslims have been systematically discriminated
          against for decades. Jews are even forbidden to enter the Kingdom.

Saudi Arabia practices a form of Sharia law that is one of
          the most brutal systems in the world. Saudi Arabia has at all times rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948.

Women may not drive a car and can be punished by flogging.
          Corporal punishment, including amputations and executions, are part of everyday life in the country. Just two weeks ago a Sudanese immigrant in Saudi Arabia was publicly beheaded for ‘sorcery.’ Saudi Arabia is one of the few countries in the world in which the death penalty is enforced even on teenagers,” the paper said.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

He was delivering supplies illegally to land thieves in colonial settlements that are organized by armed illegal foreigners.
        Don’t go trying to steal other people’s land is the lesson.

• The subtext, actually the explicit meaning, of your statement is: He asked for it…..that’s not victim-blamey at all.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

He’s helping to arm and feed soldiers who are aiding and abetting baby killers and land thieves

• Go ahead and attack Israeli policy if you like. But this murder of Ezra was religious incitement turned to terrorism, period.

You are the apologist for murderers, and thus a major hypocrite.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

Ezra Schwartz was illegally assisting land thieves and terrorists who want nothing more than to destroy Palestinians.
        Your unconditional defense of extremist jewish terrorists caught red handed stealing Palestinian lands shows how broken your moral compass is

• Actually no. Ezra’s assistance was not illegal. Israelis have handed over much more land than what they currently control in the West Bank. Israelis do not want to “destroy” Palestinians (nice libel on your part). I know many Israelis as well as knowing many Palestinians, including those who have served in both forces. Most recognize this is a land and at times religious conflict, and not a genocidal one for either side.

My defense was not unconditional as this was my one and only post, so your generalization is (almost) completely without a base.

Your final sentence may have been the most hyperbolic I have ever read. How well trained you are to cram so much vitriol into one sentence. Too bad it is not accurate.

And you failed to explain how defending a religiously driven murder is somehow moral. So do not assume or comment on my moral compass. Other than the above you know nothing about me, but you have made prejudicial assumptions and statements.

You are a hypocrite.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

Looks like you are out of ways in defending racist baby killing land thieves and other israeli policies.
            There is no defense to justifying the denial of civil and human rights, and continued ethnic cleansing, and denial of refugee rights.
            Palestinians have a right to live free from a military occupation, illegal seige on Gaza, and discriminating Jim Crow laws in 1948 Palestine.
            BDS

• TwistedTwigGooseSteps,

Since the Palestinians were never Israeli citizens, and never wanted to be Israeli
      citizens, there’s really no question of Apartheid here.

The Palestinians’ disenfranchisement comes out of their own rejection of UNGAR 181, which advocated the establishment of one Jewish state (Israel) and one Arab state (Palestine, or whatever they might have wanted to call it) on the land of the Palestine Mandate. Had they accepted the resolution and established their
      own state on the land allocated by the UN, there would be no Palestinian
      refugees today.

No country in the world can be forced to accept a belligerent population whose
      manifesto includes the destruction of the would-be host country. Neither
      democracy nor membership in the UN requires any country to commit suicide,
      which is what you seem to be advocating.

If you really want an example of an Apartheid state, examine the laws of the
      Palestinian Authority– it is a criminal offense to sell Palestinian land to a
      Jew, and the maximum penalty for someone selling land to a Jew is death.
      Mahmoud Abbas has already declared on more than one occasion that “No Jew
      will be allowed to live in the new Palestine”.

How’s
      that for Apartheid?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

Ezra Schwartz was a terrorist whose family home should be demolished just like they do to the Palestinians.
        Your defense of jewish extremist terrorists is appalling

• TwistedTwigGooseSteps,
          Ezra Schwartz was a Jewish student. Jews are not taught that they will reach Paradise by killing infidels. You are confusing your Muslim schooling with other cultures. Don’t you realize that it is only Muslim schools that inculcate students into embracing terrorism?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

It looks like some extremist jewish terrorists express their religions and culture by stealing land from Palestinians and feeding/supplying Zionist soldiers.
            And I’m not going to name all the inciteful hate speech that you defend by jewish extremist terrorists whether try are in Israel or any where else.
            Free Palestine
            BDS

• TwistedTwigGooseSteps,
            It looks like some Muslim jihadists expressed their religions and culture by stealing land from Hindus, Animists, Christians, Buddhists, Zoraostrians, Baha’i, Assyrians, Aremnains, Chaldeans, Coptics and feeding/supplying the Caliphate soldiers.
            And I’m not going to name all the inciteful hate speech that you defend by Muslim jihadists whether they are in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Sudan, Somalia, Kenya, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Jordan, Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Dubai, Afghanistan, Kyzigistan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Maldives, southern Russia, NW China, Indonesia, Turkey, Paris, San Bernadino…
            Free the planet from Muslim jihadists.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly says:

Arabarf did someone forget to feed you your islamophobic bigot cereal today

• How is he a “jewish extremist terrorist”.

8. Liberal hypocrisy is amazing says:

Imagine if it had been “Palestine” scratched out on the sign?

Teach-ins, sit-ins, die-ins, protests, crying, yelling, committees, apologies from administrators..,.

But erase Israel, and….. Crickets.

• Racist diatribes from Israeli leaders and their supporters…..Crickets..

• As we come into the United Nations, we passed the flags of all 193 member States.

If you take the time to count, you will discover that there are 15 flags with a crescent and 25 flags with a cross. And then there is one flag with a Jewish Star of David. Amidst all the nations of the world there is one state – just
        one small nation state for the Jewish people.

And for today’s Nazi sympathizers like mxm, that is one too many.

• Even if that were true how on earth is that relevant? Israeli victims of Palestinian terrorism who have been killed in the same terms as those in France or the United States are extremely marginalized while those of other countries aren’t. You’re excuse for that is “racist diatribes from Israeli supporters”. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Palestinian supporters not only make constant racist comments but the Hamas charter actually quotes from the Elder Protocals of Zion to outline its goal of exterminating Jews.

9. Man with Axe says:

Do any of the commenters who are so outraged by “Israeli apartheid” know the plight of Jews in Arab countries? Didn’t think so.