Students protest Hillel-sponsored lecture

Students for Justice in Palestine, ally groups protest ‘propaganda’ for Israeli occupation

By and
Senior Staff Writer and News Editor
Friday, January 29, 2016

Student protesters gathered outside a lecture organized by the Brown/RISD Hillel featuring a chairman of the Jewish Agency for Israel, Natan Sharansky, as well as actor Michael Douglas.

Conversation between Michael Douglas and Natan Sharansky during Thursday night’s “Jewish Journeys” lecture in Salomon 101 took place amid a protest led by Students for Justice in Palestine.

The lecture, organized by the Brown/RISD Hillel and sponsored by the Genesis Prize Foundation, Hillel International and the Jewish Agency for Israel, aimed to discuss the roles “faith, religious pluralism and human rights have played” in the “personal journeys” of the two speakers: Douglas, an “award-winning actor” and Sharansky, an “historic politician and activist,” according to the event’s description.

Sharansky is currently a chairman at the Jewish Agency for Israel, which connects “Jews with Israel, with one another (and) with their heritage,” according to its website. The agency is one of the largest nonprofits in Israel and played a significant role in immigration to Israel and the absorption of immigrants upon the foundation of the state.

The event was intended to focus on the personal stories of the two speakers, though the Israeli-Palestinian conflict became part of the talk, said Marshall Einhorn, executive director for Hillel, and Benjamin Gladstone ’18, vice president of Brown Students for Israel. Gladstone said his statements to The Herald are his own and are not representative of Brown Students for Israel.

A group of 30 protesters gathered outside Salomon before the talk, which drew a full audience.

When the group of demonstrators moved toward the door of Salomon, a security guard told them to “get away from the entrance.” In reply, an SJP member shouted back, “Don’t get away from the entrance!”

Because they had booked a room in Salomon, the protesters were able to enter the building’s lobby, where they remained for the bulk of the lecture. As attendees filed into the auditorium, students shouted from the lobby, “Not another nickel, not another dime! No more money for Israel’s crimes!”

The protesters proceeded up the stairs in an attempt to hang their posters and Palestinian flags from the bannisters, shouting, “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!”

Security guards rushed ahead of the demonstrators and shut down their efforts. They returned to the lobby, where many of them taped up posters and left by 8 p.m. — more than half an hour before the lecture had finished.

Throughout the demonstration, Ashley Ferranti, assistant dean of student support services, reminded students of the University’s guidelines for staging protests. She also offered to provide further support for students who had missed class to be involved in activism or who were upset by the evening’s events.

The members of SJP cited their reasons for protesting the event in a Herald opinion piece published the day of the event. They wrote that the lecture was propaganda funded by the Israeli government and called the presence of such propaganda an “affront to academic freedom” that should not be presented to Brown students.

The individual speakers were also key reasons for SJP’s protest of the lecture. In the column, SJP claimed that Sharansky has been cited for “anti-Palestinian, anti-African racism” and that Douglas is involved in the Brand Israel campaign, which SJP defined as “a campaign designed to put the spotlight upon Israel’s cultural capital, rather than on its violent, repressive policies.”

Inside the auditorium, Douglas posed questions to Sharansky. Douglas addressed the boycott, divestment and sanctions movement, asking if Sharansky thinks of it as an anti-Semitic movement. Sharansky said he fears  those involved in the movement “are discouraging so many young Jews from being connected” and that he has had difficulty speaking with the members of the movement.

Sharansky said future Jewish leaders should remember their identities and where they come from, adding, “No one can humiliate you; you can only humiliate yourself,” which garnered applause from the audience.

Several students directly addressed the occupation of Palestine during the question and answer session following the lecture. Sharansky criticized the occupation of Palestine in one of his responses, agreeing that the territories should eventually become a free state.

Several other Providence community members appeared alongside the members of SJP to offer an alternative voice to those featured in the event.

“We are here as a presence inviting people to keep in mind human rights and rights for those in Palestine,” said Lee Clasper-Torch, a member of Jewish Voice for Peace.

By handing out leaflets and speaking with those entering the event, Clasper-Torch said he hoped to advocate “sustainable peace based on justice” and encourage Israeli officials to “abide by human rights international law, which they currently are not doing.”

“Brown has a history of giving microphones to people who have power,” said Martha Yager, a member of the American Friends Service Committee, a Quaker social justice group. “If Brown is going to let folks come and give them this space, as a responsible educator, (Brown needs) to make sure all voices are heard,” she added.

Some of the funders of the event made “a concerted effort” to shut down the BDS movement and “professors who are asking questions,” Yager said.

Gladstone, echoing Einhorn, said he was eager to hear the personal stories of the two lecturers and was disappointed that politics became the focus of the event for many students.

Einhorn told The Herald he enjoyed the lecture from Douglas and Sharansky, saying it presented students with the opportunity to hear the stories of others in the Jewish community.

Einhorn’s favorite part of the night was the question and answer period, which allowed students to speak directly with the lecturers, asking both political questions about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and questions about Douglas’ career as an actor.

As for the SJP protesters, Einhorn said he was glad the students were able to speak their views freely. “We do our best to create a wide tent for students of all different perspectives to engage with one another … and hear from others in a safe way,” he said.

Several members of SJP declined to comment for this story.

Correction: A previous version of this article referred to the author of a column in Thursday’s Herald as Huriat Al-Sharq ’17. In fact, the column was written by the members of Students for Justice in Palestine. The Herald regrets the error.

1. Ron Ruggieri says:

It is not wise from the perspective of ” free speech ” to disrupt anybody’s politically slanted ” event “. I wish more Jewish intellectuals would re-discover their socialist international roots. Then they would be more likely to distinguish anti-Zionism from anti-Semitism. As a ” culture ” the Jews have made great contributions to civilization. But in the United States today Islamophobia is more of an issue than brazen anti-Semitism.
    Is there an ACLU equivalent in the state of Israel ? Is the ” prayer on the wall ” ( Cranston West High School ) controversial over there ?

• count0interrupt says:

Wrong. According to FBI statistics, antisemitic hate crimes are several times more frequent than anti-Muslim crimes, 59.2% vs 14.2% of 1163 reported crimes in 2013.
      See: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2013/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses/incidentsandoffenses_final

• Wrong. Ruggieri is talking about Islamophobia not hate crime stats.. You can be an Islamophobe and not be accused of a crime. Just like plenty on this board.

• Ron Ruggieri says:

Has any U.S. presidential candidate suggested that Jews might fail some sanctimonious ” anti-Christian ” menace immigration test ? Hates crimes against American Muslims have not been recognized as such. Donald Trump does not remind you of latent American fascism ?
        What would Malcolm X says about ” Black Lives Matter ” ? Malcolm X was a Black Muslim who linked racism with capitalism and imperialism. How many Jewish intellectuals would agree about the connection ?

• count0interrupt says:

Very few heads have been detached from the world populace by Christians or Jews in recent memory. That may be influencing the perception of their relative danger to the country, vis a vis our Muslim brethren. ;~)

• Ron Ruggieri says:

The moral revulsion is all about the manner of execution- severed heads ? How many innocent people are incinerated by smart bombs or those oh-so-accurate drones in numerous raids- all these war crimes- just recently the bombing of the Doctors Without Borders trauma hospital in Afghanistan-all these war crimes under the cover of a ” war on terrorism ?. Most of the civilized world feels a revulsion for STATE TERRORISM- not infrequently practiced by the U.S. and Israel.
            The manner of execution in the American Gulag -being roasted alive by electrocution, botched lethal drug executions- also arouses moral revulsion. The victims often poor black people-too poor to afford ” justice ” in America. Not much better life for poor and working class white people. Naturally the common people of America find it easier to identify with the poor and oppressed Palestinians.This is NOT anti-Semitism.

• count0interrupt says:

Babble on!

• ALL EUROPEAN LIFE DIED IN AUSCHWITZ By Sebastian Vilar Rodrigez

I walked down the street in Barcelona , and suddenly discovered a terrible truth – Europe died in Auschwitz … We killed six million Jews and replaced them with 20 million Muslims. In Auschwitz we burned a culture, thought, creativity, talent. We destroyed the chosen people, truly chosen, because they produced great and wonderful people who changed the world..

The contribution of this people is felt in all areas of life: science, art, international trade, and above all, as the conscience of the world. These are the people we burned.

And under the pretense of tolerance, and because we wanted to prove to ourselves that we were cured of the disease of racism, we opened our gates to 20 million Muslims, who brought us stupidity and ignorance, religious extremism and lack of tolerance, crime and poverty, due to an unwillingness to work and support their families with pride.

They have blown up our trains and turned our beautiful Spanish cities into the third world, drowning in filth and crime.

Shut up in the apartments they receive free from the government, they plan the murder and destruction of their naive hosts.

And thus, in our misery, we have exchanged culture for fanatical hatred, creative skill for destructive skill, intelligence for backwardness and superstition

• Another cut and paste by the serial abuser Ari

• You mean where Hamas places its armaments within the general populace, among schools and hospitals. Hamas fires from those locations and when Israel returns fire, they cry, “They’re burning babies, whaaah!”

• Flag mxm’s comments. His vile hatred deserves no place on a public forum. Let him stick to neo-Nazi websites where he belongs.

• There it is. If only Jews were socialists, then we’ll let them live.

2. “In other news, _____ Chapter of Students for Justice in Tibet have insisted that the university cease doing business with any Chinese company.” – Imaginary news report that would never occur because the bigots who attack Israel don’t actually care about “occupation,” they want to destroy the Jewish State.

3. Google “gays” and “Palestinians” to see how gay people are treated by the people who are calling for boycotts, divestment, and sanctions against Israel. The first search result is titled, “Palestinian gays flee to Israel”

Google “Palestinian” and “honor killings” to see how women are treated by the people who are calling for boycotts, divestment, and sanctions against Israel.

If you are a femalel student (or alumna) who is thinking about going to “Palestine” to help protest against the Evil Zionists, I suggest that you first read “Female Palestinian Peace Activists Suffer Sexual Harassment, Rape From Palestinians” (just Google on the title). You might want to reconsider.

As a final note, look up Israel’s and the Palestinians’ relative political and civil rights ratings at Freedomhouse.org. Israel’s are close to the best possible while those under both Hamas and Fatah are almost the worst possible.

Now, please explain to me again who is guilty of crimes, apartheid policies (e.g. dhimmis or second-class citizens in countries under militant Islamic rule), and so on. I have not even touched on the Palestinians’ long litany of mindless terroristic violence including the Munich Massacre, the massacre of the Fogel family including young children in their beds, and so on.

4. • In the world of the BDS (Bigoted, Discriminatory Scumbags) movement, Palestinian nationalism is OK, Muslim nationalism is OK, Arab nationalism is OK, but Jewish nationalism is evil and must be erased/destroyed.

And in the world of BDS, democracies are OK, except if they result in a Jewish state. So, if people vote, and choose to define their state as Muslim, or Arab, that’s OK. But if people vote, and choose to define their state as Jewish, that’s NOT OK, and the solution is to add 5 million Jew-hating Palestinians into that state, AND THEN VOTE AGAIN, and when Jews are now voted out of existence, and Israeli Jews become a hated minority under an Islamic majority that hates their guts, THAT is “justice” in the eyes of the BDS psychopaths.

5. In order to clarify my concerns, let’s take a look back in history to 1933 when Hitler rose to power and became Chancellor of Germany and the Nazis won a large number of seats in the German parliament. What followed was the notorious nationwide Nazi boycott targeting Jewish businesses and professionals directed by Nazi storm-troopers posting signs everywhere saying “Do not buy from Jews!” Widespread anti-Semitism mounted with the Nuremberg Laws in 1935 depriving Jews of their basic rights as citizens and banning them from all professional jobs in education, politics, academia and industry which escalated in severity ultimately concluding in the “Final Solution.”

6. BDS is an anti-Semitic, racist movement, plain and simple. There are 49 Muslim majority countries in the world that identify themselves as Muslim and where Islam is considered the official religion of the state. But the BDS movement doesn’t seem to have a problem with that. They have a problem with only one nation, the Jewish one, which they wish to be supplanted with yet another dysfunctional Muslim state.

7. Only 30 people in an anti-Israel protest – this is not news. The BDH letter to the editor for a mass protest failed.

SJP/BDS’s actions were a joke in two ways:

– low turnout so as to be negligible;

– shouting the familiar refrain “from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” which clearly reminds us their goal is to eradicate the state of Israel and do a real ethnic cleansing of Jews… Just like the movement’s founder has stated many times.

8. The problem is, Israel’s neighbors (radical jihadist lunatics) consider the very EXISTENCE of a Jewish state an “occupation” that they oppose.

So, anti-semites and extreme-left lunatics are going around pretending that they are merely supporting “justice and freedom for Palestinians.” Sounds nice, except the problem is the Palestinian religious, political and social leaders, and the other leaders in that region of Earth, don’t want peace with Jews. They want Israel erased.

Lunatic racist groups like SJP are basically demanding that Israel commit suicide to please the local Middle East Jew-hating jihadist community.

9. Jews are the only people in the world now forced to defend nationalism that resulted in one tiny homeland existing for them.

Nobody puts Italians on trial for having Italy.

Nobody puts Arabs on trial for having Arab states.

Nobody puts Muslims on trial for now having over 50 Muslim countries (all of which belonged to Christians Hindus Buddhists etc before Islam came around)

Only Jews/Israelis are put to trial like this.

• True that.

Every single Muslim country became Muslim through violent conquest and occupation. Just as Muslim jihadists viciously conquered Sudan a mere two decades ago – murdering hundreds of thousands and creating three million refugees – so are they doing in Nigeria today.

So you and I know that Muslims are the ultimate imperialists, so do we know they rule with cruelty and fear too. But more so it is organizations like the SJP that sets the stage for the violent jihadists. Through SJP’s constant lies about Israel they create an ugly atmosphere that enables today’s Hitlers to kill, kill and kill some more.

When Palestinians stab Jewish women to death while the women’s children look on with fear we never hear a voice of disapproval from the SJP’ers. No, they justify the barbarism instead with their lies and convoluted logic. When Syrians commit wholesale slaughter of Palestinians in their refugee camps we do not hear a word of condemnation from the SJP’ers for that would be a form of apostasy. How dare they criticize a fellow Muslim!

And the leftist idiots who support the SJP’ers are the worst of the bunch. While they attend an elitist school, most of them doing so on their rich parent’s payroll, they think they’re hip and cool by standing for something they do not have the basic understanding about. Their smarm makes me sick. Their insouciance makes me sick. Their hypocrisy is so apparent only an idiot like themselves cannot see through it.

Yes, while Jews were instrumental in helping to improve Brown, the SJP’ers and their ilk are destroying it with their hatred masked as social justice. All and all disgusting but something the Brown rich kids think is so leading-edge. If not so disgusting it would be laughable.

10. Certain groups of bigots are mad that Israelis defend their lives, their family and their country from the maniac Islamist groups that surround Israel.

11. Walk it off, Adolf.

12. Hitlerboys seem to be failing in their quest to erase Israel.

• Flag mxm’s comments. Force him to spend his time on neo-Nazi websites where he belongs. Flag them!! All of them!!!

13. The BDS movement accepts Muslim states, Arab states and a Palestinian state, yet rejects a Jewish state.

The BDS movement accepts Muslim nationalism, Arab nationalism and Palestinian nationalism, yet rejects Jewish nationalism.

Because, the BDS movement is a bigoted, hypocritical, anti-semitic hate movement, not a “peace” or “justice” movement.

14. Anyone looking for “apartheid” should look at the 50+ Islamic countries a lot faster than they look at the tiny liberal modern democratic state of Israel.

15. Brown’s SJP members were probably too busy goose-stepping to comment.

16. Arch Stanton says:

I thought Brown was supposed to be a tough school to get accepted by.

17. How about an article on what was said at the talk or has the BDH joined with the protestors to attempt to silence the speakers. And for you supporters of BDS, how is it that Israel is the bad guys in the Middle East when Hamas is using more than 1000 people a week to dig terror tunnels to attack Israel and an Arab gunman on Friday sprayed bullets from an automatic weapon near a pub in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv, killing two people and injuring at least seven others before fleeing. And let us not forget that rockets from Gaza last year were fired into Israel, every month starting in April. By supporting BDS you support terrorist.

• You left out the part where Israel removed all settlements from Gaza in exchange for peace, but let’s not worry ourselves with minor details, for we all know this is not about seeking truth and justice so much as it is about besmirching Israel.

But the noble Hamas-led Palestinians – as is typical of their good neighbor policy- tore up that treaty with Israel, and no sooner had the Israeli settlers left than the Palestinians started lobbing rocket, after rocket, after rocket into Israel. But this is a mere detail, and as noble college students and editorialists we should not be bothered with such trivia.

Instead welcome to our fantasy-world where we pretend that it is the poor-poor Hamas who are the victims: the good guys in our fictional depiction of this conflict. For we all know Hamas is an ethical and loving organization for whom respect for core values such as women’s rights, gay rights, Jew’s rights, freedom of conscience, the sanctity of life – are all paramount.

In short, Orwell could not make this crap up it is that far detached from reality.

• More cut and paste by Ari the serial abuser

http://emorywheel.com/unfair-fight-guns-versus-stones/

• How about this cut from the Hamas Charter of 1988: “Israel will rise and will remain erect until Islam eliminates it as it had eliminated its predecessors.” and so there is no confusion that Hamas is not just intent on eliminating Israel but Jews as well: “Hamas has been looking forward to implement Allah’s promise whatever time it might take. The prophet, prayer and peace be upon him, said: The time will not come until Muslims will fight the Jews (and kill them)”

• Take time to read the Likud charter.

• mxm123 I did, but could find no place in it where genocide is suggested of anyone, unlike the Hamas charter which supports the annihilation of Israel and the murder of all Jews throughout the world. As has been said by others and is as true today as when it was first said, were Israel to lay down its arms there would be no Israel, but were the Arabs to lay down their arms there would be peace.

It is unfortunate that there are people like you in the United States, assuming that is where you reside, who so vehemently support terrorists and by implication their terrorist acts.

The patience of Israel putting up with the Hamas rocket attacks, is amazing. Were any other country in the world attacked in this manner, no other country in the world would object to a retaliation upon the perpetrator. But God forbid, should Israel retaliate, they would be branded the aggressor. It is surely a strange world we live in.

• The Likud charter justifies ethnic cleansing. It’s sad that persons like you justify such barbarity.

Palestinians have no arms and have no land. It’s all stolen.

• Were there no Arabs in the Knesset and no Arab citizens in Israel, you might be right, but as there are, you are obviously mistaken. The Likud charter does not support or promote ethnic cleansing and the best proof is that there has not been any such thing in Israel.

The Hamas charter on the other hand and without any doubt supports the destruction of Israel and the death to all Jews. I take that personally. And I note that you make no comment about that as if ignoring it means that it does not exist. To support Hamas is to support the devil.

You say the Palestinians have no arms. I assume you don’t mean appendages but if you mean weapons, what do you call the rockets that are fired into Israel almost weekly? I don’t know where you live but please tell me how your country would react if rockets were fired at it weekly?

I note that you often complain that some people cut and paste in response to your often outrageous statements and incorrect history and facts. You do realize that in no ways does that make anything pasted any less true or what you say correct. In responding to outrageous claims, one does not have to reinvent the wheel each time.

• Is it because of your mother? (That’s what Freud would assume.) How much longer are you here til?

• Louis,
      Please flag MXM’s comments. Let him rot in the cesspool of neo-Nazi websites where he belongs.

18. This is it? This is all of the coverage of this event that this newspaper has and provides? What was the discussion about? What did Mr. Sharansky, a renowned human rights activist who sat in a Soviet jail for a decade, have to say? Don’t you think your student body should know? Or, along with yesterday’s error-ridden op-ed by the BDS activist, do you think the silly protest is all that matters here?

Why don’t you start here: http://www.nysun.com/national/sharanksy-breasts-a-protest-against-his-talk/89435/

19. And you’re not?

20. ShadrachSmith says:

Anklebiter 🙂

21. ShadrachSmith says:

Arafat isn’t claiming authorship, he is delivering relevant data. And you are an anklebiter.

22. ShadrachSmith says:

Almost all of your posts are gibberish and/or insults.

23. Why does Arafat “Ari” delete other peoples posts ? To have an exclusive venue for his plagiarism ? Why doesn’t he like sunlight for other peoples views ? What is he so afraid of?

24. ShadrachSmith says:

You post gibberish and insults presented as demands for submission, just like any other mental toddler stuck in his tyrant stage.

25. A POST OF MINE DELETED BY Arafat aka ARI
    “SAFE SPACE” for APARTHEID.

Thanks to the Hillel and its powerful supporters in the Brown corporation, Brown has achieved its goal of SAFE SPACES. Not for coloreds, not for LBGTQ. But for darlings of all conservatives – Israeli Apartheid and its propaganda mouth pieces on Campus.

A few milquetoast questions, faculty and administrators too scared to question Sharanskys’ ties to mob figures, Sharansky’s support for theft of Palestinian land, you get the drift.

What better implementation of SAFE SPACES? A event sponsored by the Hillel, an organization notorious for censorship of views, held on the Brown campus. Most inconvenient persons kept out. Mao and Stalin would be proud.

Pop Quiz – At Brown “________ lives matter” ?????? Its not minorities and palestinians for sure.

26. ANOTHER POST OF MINE DELETED BY seriel abuser Arafat aka ARI
    ““No one can humiliate you; you can only humiliate yourself,” which garnered applause from the audience.” – Kim Jong Un would be proud of the Brown Corporation trustees and the Hillel. No pesky questions, no inconvenient “free speech”, no nothing.

The sponsors of Apartheid, several of whom run this corporation, the Hillel and its sock puppets should be proud. They’ve achieved SAFE SPACE and approved by Kim Jong Un.

Ask yourself, Is there a more effective way to promote apartheid on campus. A campus that’s supposed to uphold Federal Civil Rights laws which are openly broken here.

27. BDS with its typical ugliness. Demonizing. Libeling. Double standards. Shouting down anyone they disagree with. The whole nine yards. And of course BDS is the antithesis of a peace movement. When you have slogans calling for “Palestine” to be “liberated” all the way to the sea, that is an explicit call for genocide. It is not a peace movement or a human rights movement, just a hate movement. Notice that they never demand that Hamas or Fatah do anything about violence or incitement. And they pretend that recent history in the form of the Gaza withdrawal did not happen. Peace is a two way street. Settlements are just another red herring and inversion of causation. Did not stop the Sinai withdrawal or the Gaza withdrawal. But Israel would be insane to withdraw in this climate. BDS is just a bunch of hateful loudmouths for whom facts mean nothing. They just want their cartoon version of history and if it perpetuates a conflict, if it fuels rejectionism and gives hope to extremists, so be it. Imagine if they directed their energies towards demanding peace by both sides. But that was never what they were about.

Really though it is a shame that universities such as Brown have become such cesspools of bigotry. I guess so long as you are targeting Jews hooliganism becomes “understandable”, “regrettable”, or whatever other lame cliche. Jews are considered a world apart, and behavior that would get you expelled targeting any other groups gets rationalized so long as you target Jews. In the perverse world of identity politics Jews just have to accept blood libels, disruptions and intimidation while the cowardly adminstration talks about “both sides.” Sorry but there aren’t two sides when one is engaging in hooliganism and spewing hatred while the other is just trying to listen to a speech. Pathetic. Maybe Jews should start disrupting Muslim events. Something has seriously gone haywire when anti-semitism is more prevalent on holier than thou college campuses than in the world at large.

• What does Hamas or Fatah have to do with the open theft of land for settlements. Nothing. Just a stream of excuses and parables to deflect from Israeli apartheid.

• As opposed to a stream of laughable name calling and historically illiterate drivel? Truly what does the fact that the Palestinian authorities are in a state of war with Israel have to do with Israel not just unilaterally giving up strategically important land in a very small geographical area. All the ridiculous excuses aside, hateful, thuggish behavior such as was displayed here is unacceptable. Deal with it.

• You steal land people fight back. So you justify that to steal more land ?

• As opposed to your justifying violence, hate and hooliganism? And your understanding of history is absurd.

• Pointing out an inevitability is now justifying violence !!! Why do you justify apartheid.

• It is like you are caught in a feedback lope. You demonize and libel a nation and its people, accept a ridiculously propagandistic and onesided view of history, support violence and hatred, and then when this gets pointed out to you, you respond “apartheid!” which is not an argument but an epithet and has zero basis in reality. You are a bigot, plain and simple.

• Actually, me thinks you can’t accept reality. Therefore you construct a different reality (with the usual curse words).

• Well events tend to be much more complex than the cartoon world you have constructed.

• Nope. Its a simple land grab. And people like you making continual excuses to deflect from it.

• Oh. So there were no Jews there for centuries? So Jews had no ties to this area? So there was no such thing as the Ottoman Empire or the British empire afterward? So the Israeli Jews did not agree to partition an area the size of New Jersey while the Arabs got the entire Middle East? Sorry but I fail to see the difference between this and India/Pakistan, the states that formed in the wake of the Soviet Union and Warsaw Pact, etc. Jews had as much right to self-determination as anyone else, and had the other side shown an interest in coexistence this conflict would never have occurred. Two states should have formed and that’s that. Instead we get perpetual conflict and endless grievances.

• The UN gave them the land of Israel. And now persons like you want to justify stealing more land and making up stories. The UN partition did not include the entire Middle East as you insinuate. Why is it that you have to continually stretch the truth.

• Actually Israel won its own independence. But you make another point, which is that the rest of the world saw this for what it was, a fair solution. The Jews got a portion of the area. The Arabs got the other half. AND the Arabs got the rest of the Middle East. Under the Ottoman Empire the Arabs had nothing. What occurred in Israel was the same process that has occurred worldwide when empires and colonial rule fell and competing national movements intersected. If the Arabs had not dedicated themselves to endless war and if people stopped promoting myths that serve only hate, this conflict should have ended decades ago.

• As soon as the state of Israel was established, it was attacked by Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq. Arab Muslims couldn’t stand the existence of an Israeli state. When Israel beat them all, it had the right to secure more land such as the Golan Heights to defend itself.

28. So what was the talk about?

29. “Criticism of the United Nations — or attacks against me — comes with the territory. But when heartfelt concerns about shortsighted or morally damaging policies emanate from so many sources, including Israel’s closest friends, it cannot be sustainable to keep lashing out at every well-intentioned critic.” – UN Secretary General in the NY TImes complaining about the smear tactics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/01/opinion/dont-shoot-the-messenger-israel.html

Are we surprised. Nope. Its par for course when it comes to questioning Israeli apartheid. A word you wouldn’t have heard in the stage managed sham at Brown by the Hillel. So ask yourself.

Where is the honesty from the Hiilel ?

30. Charlie in NY says:

I wonder if Yager recognizes the depths of her inconsistency. Having joined with BDS in its unsuccessful effort to shut down this event, she says that Brown needs to make sure that all voices are heard. It’s a neat parallel to the Arabs position that, having failed to wipe out Israel militarily, they want their rights respected as if nothing had happened. That’s just not how the real world operates.

31. Hey, Brown Daily Herald, can you explain what happened in your SJP boycott article which was penned by Huriat al Sharq? Suddenly SJP claims their students wrote it but not the non-student who was initially called a student? Don’t you find that a little strange? Shouldn’t you try to expose where the lie is? Allow me to help: students are being given instructions and materials from outside campus as they attempt to turn your campus into another hotbed of radical anti-Israel activity. This will damage and divide your campus, hurt Jewish students’ experience at Brown and ensure you all have to listen to litanies of lies over a period of years.

Wouldn’t it be better to call them on their lies instead? Wouldn’t it be better to focus on the positive and interesting message noted human rights activist Sharansky brought to your campus instead of the idiotic lies they tried to spread about him? It would be. It might also constitute useful journalism for your student body.

32. Gene Nelson says:

mxm — wow — you got no life but comments posting, huh? I pity you.

33. You post nothing. You are a stalker.

34. Christian Coopersmith says:

Sorry, little BDS lambs. There is no safe space from which you can escape from your own hatreds, prejudices and irrationalities.