Graphics, University News

Brown admits 2,250 from largest-ever applicant pool

Admission stats stay consistent with those of past years, while admission rate rises half percentage point

senior staff writer
Monday, April 4, 2016

The University accepted 2,250 applicants for the Class of 2020 through regular decision Thursday, said Dean of Admission Jim Miller ’73.

This year’s application cycle saw a regular decision rate of about 7 percent and an overall admission rate of about 9 percent, Miller said. The overall admission rate for last year’s cycle was a record-breaking 8.5 percent.

The newly admitted students will join the 669 students admitted through early decision in December. The admitted students were selected from a record-high pool of 32,380 students who applied either early decision or regular decision.

Even with the growing number of applicants, the demographics of the pool have stayed “pretty consistent,” Miller said.

The University admitted about 7 percent of the 1,905 deferred students from the early decision pool and waitlisted about 1,000 additional students. Students were admitted from all 50 states and 83 nations, Miller said.

But the pool of both applying and admitted students is becoming more diverse. A record-high 47 percent of students in the admitted class identify as students of color, Miller said. Sixty-one percent of admitted students intend to apply for financial aid this year.

Multiple factors keep increasing the number of applicants to the University, but “the continuing appeal of Brown,” is one of the biggest reasons more people apply each year, Miller said. The University’s “reputation continues to grow nationally and internationally,” he added.

The University’s financial aid programs are also “very attractive” and have “improved over the years,” Miller said.

The high number of applicants also extends internationally, with a record-high 5,432 students applying from outside of the United States.

The “growing middle class” in many parts of the world allows more people to apply to universities, and the top American universities are the “gold standard” of education, Miller said.

Many admitted students were excited after receiving their acceptance letters.

“It feels awesome,” said Sarah Pugliese of North Smithfield, Rhode Island. “It’s been my number one school for as long as I can remember,” she added.

Brown was appealing because of its open curriculum, “intellectual but not intense” student body and great neuroscience program, said Pugliese, who applied to be a neuroscience and applied math concentrator.

A Day on College Hill, a program for admitted students, will start April 19.

1. Eric Rohmer says:

>>>The “growing middle class” in many parts of the world allows more people to apply to universities

good for them

i just hope that the “shrinking middle class” here in America will still be able to afford to attend these universities

• Eric,
      Brown ignores this dilemma, and increases tuitions by 4.9%–4x higher than inflation.

Better to work at Starbucks and enjoy a free bachelor’s degree from Arizona State. Or attend U Texas with a 4-year bachelor’s degree for $10,000.

• JustinReilly says:

But that tuition increase only really affects the upper-middle class and wealthy since financial aid for middle class and lower has gone thru the roof.

• JustinReilly says:

They are able to because they get it all covered by financial aid now.

2. Horrible result that should open the eyes of Jim Miller and Christina Paxson:

Of 2919 accepted, 43% will choose to go elsewhere. This is far worse than Brown’s peers, and suggests that Brown is “sloppy seconds” for those who don’t get their first choice.

With 4% of the world’s population, 84% of the applicants were from the US. Does that mean that the US supplies 84% of the world’s best and brightest, or that Brown is ignoring the opportunity to attract budding Albert Einsteins, Nelson Mandelas and Mahatma Gandhis?

Metrics don’t lie. In this case, Brown’s losing its cachet.

Brown’s admission process is like asking someone to marry you on the first date. Neither Brown nor the prospective student knows enough about one another to make a valid decision. This needs to change.

We in Northern California offered a plan for Brown professors (as teachers) and Brown students (as proctors) offer AP courses to high school students around the world–generating important, early relationships with prospective students while appealing to the minority students Brown is seeking to attract. And, BTW, earning $100 million per year for Brown.

Jim Miller knows this plan. I’ve discussed this plan with him. Jim is retiring–but should take his remaining few months to make it a reality…

Christina Paxson, please look at these dismal admittance figures as a wake-up call. Time to change how Brown recruits, teaches and interacts with the world outside of its Providence campus.

3. This graph showing “Brown 5th among the Ivy League” is meaningless. Anyone can apply to any school. More telling is that >40% of those ACCEPTED to Brown choose to go elsewhere. This figure is far more telling–and says that Brown is a back-up Ivy League school, with most students preferring the other schools.

• flatstock says:

Many here have disparaged Mr. Lonergan, and have even gone so far as to have called his comments meaningless techno-babble. But I, for one, embrace his vision of Brown’s future.

For one, why is our motto still “in deo speramus”? Change it to something shinier, more streamlined, say “Transcendence, Synergy, Cloud-Computing.” And doesn’t everyone think that it’s high-time we abolished the anachronistic notion of a campus? Classrooms should be decentralized, located in the rented board rooms of Silicon Valley/Alley; transportation, of course, would be provided by driver-less Tesla cars, required purchases at the beginning of the semester. Lastly, I believe, if we started right now, we could write a sufficiently-streamlined computer program that replaces professors with virtual reality, interactive environments.

Steve Jobs! Prestige! Information Superhighway! Bill Gates! Jeff Bezos! Brown! Apple!

• Funny.
        In the meantime, Brown is failing.
        And you’re fiddling.
        It’s no fun to go down on a sinking ship.
        Far better to change it for the better.
        Help us to bring Brown from the 19th Century to the 21st Century. Help us to make Brown relevant again.

Or just joke around…