Bear-themed Growlers Wing Bar opens above Alehouse

American menu, sports atmosphere, New England beers cater to college crowd, local community

Growlers Wing Bar opened above English Cellar Alehouse April 4. Previously, the restaurant above Alehouse was an Italian bistro, Coco Pazzo.

The management team of both Alehouse and Coco Pazzo felt that the bistro could not compete against bigger Italian restaurant chains on Federal Hill, said Sean Hannon, general manager at Alehouse and Growlers. They decided that it was time for a new restaurant with a different theme, and opened Growlers.

“People seem to respond to old-fashioned American food, (and) the wing movement is really taking off,” Hannon said.

The owners of Alehouse felt that opening a bear-themed wing restaurant would continue to attract local university students. The restaurant has multiple televisions showing sports games and matches, and the owners are planning to get jerseys from universities in the area to hang on the walls.

“We want to … keep it a local bar for all the college kids and all the locals to come to and feel at home,” said Jason Annin, assistant general manager.

Alehouse is a restaurant with an English pub theme that typically caters to an older, single crowd including professors, university students and locals in the area, Hannon said.

Hannon is hoping for Growlers to cater its business to a wide range of people: college students, Providence locals, visiting families and more.

The menu will include not only wings, but also tacos, burgers, smoked pastrami and other entrees, Hannon said. All beers come from local New England breweries, something the restaurant takes pride in.

“We’re really excited to see how people respond to (the local aspect),” Annin said.

Customers have responded positively to the themes of the restaurant — a family on a college visit to Brown said they enjoyed the selection of beers that the restaurant has to offer, and college students said they enjoyed the food and the sports games.

“The wings are great,”  said Bobby Klapper ’16.5 “There’s a good atmosphere during the game. I definitely see myself coming here, especially for sports events and stuff like that.”