Protesters display U.S. flags, drive by campus

Drivers bear ‘Don’t Tread on Me’ flag, sound horns, sing anthem, leave students feeling daunted

Monday, November 21, 2016

In the wake of Wednesday’s #OurCampus walkout and last week’s flag destruction incident, another protest of sorts marked the end of a tense week. According to the Department of Public Safety, a group of 10 to 12 vehicles drove through campus starting at around 4:15 p.m. This was apparently “in reaction to the recent flag vandalism incidents,” Deputy Chief of Campus Police Paul Shanley wrote in an email to The Herald.

“They beeped their horns at some points,” Shanley said, adding that they “at one point stopped and played the national anthem.” The protestors did not attempt to access the campus itself, he added.

“I was at Sears Hall, and when I looked out there were all of these white people in these white trucks,” Katherine Jiménez ’19 said, confirming that the group appeared to be exclusively white. She added that some of the vehicles bore American and “Don’t Tread on Me” flags. “They were being very loud and roaming the area,” she said.

“It felt incredibly intimidating,” Jiménez said, adding that “it felt very white nationalist and alt-right.”

“I called DPS, and they told me that they knew it was going to happen,” Jiménez said, adding that she was told that “DPS along with the Providence Police would be overseeing the so-called protest.” She added that she was told the protest would end by 5:30 p.m. and that DPS had not received any complaints about the motorcade.

“We did have advance notice of the possibility (of a protest),” Shanley said, adding that “DPS and Campus Life were present as a precautionary measure.” The protest did not appear to be associated with any specific organization, he added.

Reports on the exact number of vehicles involved in the protest varied from the 10 to 12 originally estimated by DPS. A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity estimated that there were 10 to 20 trucks organized in a line at one point. Jiménez said she witnessed five to seven vehicles on Charlesfield Street, but there were already more on Waterman Street at that point.

In a post on the public Facebook group “Resist Hate RI,” Elisabeth Hubbard wrote that she saw at least 20 vehicles circling the College Hill neighborhood “complete with a Dixie horn.”

“They noisily circled several times and then sped off like cowards,” Hubbard wrote. “I just witnessed a horrible act of intimidation.”

“It’s come here, guys,” Hubbard wrote to the group. “We need to be vigilant.”

1. Oh yes, how oppressive the flag and national anthem have become. Perhaps I’m old fashioned, but I recall when immigrants were proud to wave the flag of their adopted country.

2. Havid Damburger says:

I don’t feel safe with all the anti-American, anti white and misandrist sentiments on campus. Unfortunately the university, teachers and staff condone these hateful and intolerant attitudes every day at every turn. My feelings and my fears, as a homosexual cis male, are irrelevant when they oppose liberal doctrine. My feelings and my fears are only valid and in lock step with their agenda

They expect me to shutup, sit down and be quiet like a good liberal f@ggo+ they need me to be.

• “Unfortunately the university, teachers and staff condone these hateful and intolerant attitudes every day at every turn.”

You’re lying.

“My feelings and my fears, as a homosexual cis male, are irrelevant when they oppose liberal doctrine.”

They are irrelevant. We care about truth, not feelings.

College is for learning about opposing viewpoints, not just cultural marxist ones.

Suck it up.

• Instead of coming at this with understanding, the best argument you could come up with is the equivalent of, “Nuh-uh!!!”? So much for “learning about opposing viewpoints”.

• I understand that type all too well. Notice he didn’t say any real facts, but just “feelings and fears”, like that gives some sort of moral superiority.

Check out the political persuasions of the vast majority of professors and explain to me how his complaints seem remotely truthful.

• Havid Damburger says:

You’re lying. What’s your name and occupation. Your racist/sexist/homophobia should be reported to your employer.

• Sure.

My name is Frank Thompson. I live in Lexington Kentucky for Multicorp.

Now please, tell me more about how you live in fear on college campuses while threatening to dox people who disagree with you.

3. Imagine that hard working patriots upset over treasonous acts at our own Brown University. Pay your taxes and dicipline your students.

4. The shock and horror! They drove around with American flags?! I can’t believe this happens in America!

This is insanity. Just a week ago students at Brown were ripping up the American flag trying to suppress and intimidate Americans. Americans go to the campus to show them they will not be intimidated and somehow they’re the bad people?

5. Quick, the American flags are on the loose and the national anthem is playing. Find your safe space, I repeat find your safe space.

6. Richard James says:

“It felt incredibly intimidating”? Weird but I thought students burning American flags felt incredibly intimidating.

7. Intimidated by cowards? How does that work?

8. Spend $10000’s of parents money to get an education, too mentally fragile to go out in to the real world.

9. Merrill Stubing says:

LOL @ “it felt very alt-right.”

10. TrollStomper9000 says:

They drove around SEVERAL times before leaving – after honking horns, waving flags, and playing the national anthem – yet that makes them “cowards”? Apparently Howard was going to crawl out from under his safe space and confront them after the eighth pass (rather than enjoy the show of love for this country).

“I see white people. They’re everywhere!” – Howard

11. Kurt van Ghoye says:

Any monies I would ever have contributed to Brown have long since been earmarked for Rightist projects. Once the metapolitical foundations for national rebirth have been poured, we will be able to reclaim institutions that have lost their way, including Brown. My God, what would H.P. Lovecraft think?

12. “They noisily circled several times and then sped off like cowards,” Hubbard wrote. “I just witnessed a horrible act of intimidation.” Very similar to the people who stole and ripped up other peoples flags and ran off, very cowardly and intimidating.