Minden visitors' lot may ease parking crunch

Over winter break, the University's Transportation Office permanently converted the staff parking lot behind Minden Hall into a pay-by-the-hour visitors' lot to accommodate the needs of admission and departmental visitors.

According to Abigail Rider, director of Brown's real estate and administrative services, the change is part of a long-range plan to accommodate the University's expansion while reducing congestion on College Hill.

Inadequate parking has long been a pressing issue on campus. Brown had been the only Ivy League school without a parking lot to accommodate visitors to the Admission Office, Rider said. The peak season for prospective student visits, usually starting in mid-February each year, has consistently strained parking around the Admission Office and Main Green in years past.

The University's Web site currently advises visitors that "circling the block, a good supply of quarters, and lots of patience will make looking for a spot a relatively painless experience. Good luck."

Departmental visitors have also expressed frustration at the inability to find parking space during their visits, which has made them late for meetings, Rider said.

The new visitor parking lot, which is monitored from a new booth in the corner, has 55 spaces and is reserved for anyone who has the occasional need to drive to campus but does not wish to incur the cost of an annual parking permit. The rates for this academic year range from $4 to $12 depending on the number of hours parked if visitors have a department-validated ticket and $9 to $16 if they do not. Overnight parking is not allowed, according to the transportation department's Web site. Cars not removed by 8 a.m. the following day will be towed.

Located on Brook Street, the lot was chosen primarily because of its location. It is near both the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority trolley route and the BrownMed/Downcity Express shuttle route. Although it is several blocks from the Admission Office, Rider said that visitors would be able to "take a walk through Lincoln field, the prettiest part of campus," to get there.

The transportation department has adopted a two-pronged plan targeted at managing the demand for and supply of on-campus parking spaces.

The department is trying to reduce the demand for parking by offering alternative methods of transport to campus. Rider said the 50 percent subsidy available to Brown ID holders on RIPTA tickets and monthly passes has been extended to June 30.

Other measures include a carpooling and guaranteed ride home program. These programs will only be available to staff members and employees. The department has also allocated two more shuttle buses on the BrownMed/Downcity Express route. Rider said she hopes these programs will encourage more staff and employees to take public transport.

Managing the supply of parking spaces is part of a more long-term plan, Rider said. While still in the plan's early stages, the department is working hard at making provisions for parking in the future.