Search on for DPS chief

The Department of Public Safety is interviewing applicants to replace former Director of Public Safety Col. Paul Verrecchia, who left Brown Dec. 31. A committee of faculty, staff, students and administrators completed résumé reviews from a nationwide applicant pool in December and intends to finish the interview process over the next three weeks.

"We're very encouraged by the strength of the pool," said Walter Hunter, vice president for administration.

Despite Verrecchia's recent departure, the Department of Public Safety will continue to implement its community policing initiative and arms training program, Hunter said. Interim Chief Capt. Emil Fioravanti has handled the transition without faltering, he said.

"We're narrowing the field with our interviews," Hunter said. "We don't have a deadline, but we hope to finish as soon as possible."

Lts. Henry Lombardi and Kevin Andrews have jointly assumed Fioravanti's former duties. DPS is awaiting the completion of background checks and psychological examinations of newly appointed officers, who are expected to begin within the next few weeks. While it possible the departure of several other DPS officers is imminent, replacement officers are waiting the wings, Hunter said.

If there are additional vacancies, DPS has a list of qualified officers who have expressed strong interest in employment, he said.