Matisyahu fuses reggae, hip-hop, rock and Judaism

Entering Hillel's social hall to hear Matisyahu Miller perform Saturday night, one was unsure how to react. To the right, a small group of orthodox men danced a hora, while closer into the crowd a few couples were cautiously grinding. Matisyahu, whose fusion of Judaism and reggae could only inspire these vastly different reactions, crooned a psalm into the mike to an energetic reggae beat.

Looming at 6'3", the bearded and bespectacled Matisyahu - who uses only his first name, Hebrew for Matthew - at first glance looked out of place sitting on a speaker and rapping. He wore a tallith, symbolizing his commitment to Orthodox Judaism, and was flanked on all sides by the three others who comprise his band. Along with Josh Werner on bass, Jonah David on drums and Aaron Dugan on guitar, Matisyahu blends reggae, hip-hop and rock.

Matisyahu's music imparts a Hasidic message and tells of his experience living in New York alongside the alternating mellow and energetic reggae beats, through lyrics such as "Hashem's rays fire blaze burn bright and I believe/ Out of darkness comes light, twilight unto the heights/ Crown Heights burnin' up all through till midnight."

Matisyahu has achieved incredible success within the past year as the world's pre-eminent Hasidic reggae star. On Saturday, he oozed energy and passion for both his music and his religion, intensely belting out the songs. He seemed focused, but his music simultaneously engendered a jovial, carefree atmosphere.

Growing up in White Plains, N.Y., Matisyahu dropped out of high school to follow Phish on their national tour. A Reconstructionist Jew who resisted Hebrew class as a youth, he experienced a spiritual awakening in the Colorado wilderness and in Israel and reconnected to his Jewish roots, converting to Lubavitch, a sect of Judiasm, after meeting a rabbi in New York's Washington Square Park. Today he divides his time between playing three to four shows a week and the yeshiva.

Fusing the world and words of reggae and the Talmud, his lyrics move fluently in between English and Hebrew. His songs are original and catchy but many of them blend together. Indeed, Rastafarians, who are closely linked to reggae, believe they are a lost tribe of Israel, and much of their music deals with social awakening. Matisyahu's lyrics recount biblical stories, urge the awakening of a higher consciousness and are laden with messianic themes.

The music is upbeat dancehall reggae with a rootsy origin. Matisyahu's voice and style recall Bob Marley, yet he is still developing his musical talent. The crowd was initially hesitant but quickly warmed to the infectious tropical beat. Interspersed among the college students were older couples, orthodox Jews and a few middle-school-aged kids. The simple stage was almost on level with the audience, allowing the 26-year-old Matisyahu to interact with the audience and creating a casual theme to the show. The friendly atmosphere and novelty of the act made up for a few times the songs seemed monotonous and Matisyahu lacked energy. The lighting was simple - a single light shone on the band, the color varying depending on the mood of the song.

One highlight of the show was Matisyahu's rendition of "Chop 'em Down," a song recounting the Israelites' exodus from Egypt. Both the guitarists and drummer demonstrated their superb abilities during several extended solos. Several a cappella solos by Matisyahu also proved to be a highlight of the show and were greeted by the audience's enthusiastic cheers. Throughout the show, Matisyahu was endearing in his casual interactions with the audience. Although he gave a short concert, Matisyahu skillfully combined his two passions resulting in a moving and upbeat show.

By the end of the night it was clear that Judaism and reggae are not such strange bedfellows.