TECHNOLOGY IN THE CLASSROOM: Students use computers in college

Editors' Note: This is the 28th in a 768-part series on technology in the classroom.

Did you know that students are using devices called computers to aid their studies? Well, they are. Along with numerous other technological innovations, such as clickers, blogs and WebCT, computers are revolutionizing the way students learn.

Forget typing papers on typewriters and gathering information from books. With computers, students can do all those things and more in the comfort of their own dorm rooms. Isn't technology great?

It is, according to Associate Professor of Political Science Ross Cheit. "Seriously, I don't know why you people keep interviewing me. I use a few pieces of new technology in PS 105 ("Ethics and Public Policy,") most of which have already been in use at other schools for a while. You've written three stories about it. Do you have a lot of space to fill or something?"

Computers were first invented in 1997, but weren't available at Brown until earlier this year. Still, the University has adapted rapidly since then and continues to make more and more common tasks available on computer.

"Someday, Brown students will find it comical that at one time, students had to fill out paper forms just to drop classes," said University Registrar Michael Pesta. "That day is today."

Other administrators have even grander visions for the future. "It may be that computers will one day fit in a small room," Vice President for Computing and Information Services Ellen Waite-Franzen told The Herald in 1951.

It turns out computers are everywhere. One might even be sitting on your desk. Amazingly enough, some students actually bring computers to classrooms! Now that's "Technology in the Classroom!"

In fact, students are really getting hooked on computers. "What?" said Felicitee Kertis '06.

But it doesn't stop there. According to some people standing around in the Center for Information Technology, a new innovation called the Internet will provide even more advantages to students and faculty.

These advantages include porn.

"It's pretty clear that computers are the wave of the future," said Professor of Political Science Darrell West, director of the Taubman Center for Public Policy.

You can always trust The Herald for accuracy. Except on April Fools' Day.