Police Log: Thefts from unlocked rooms top campus crime

The following summaries include all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Oct. 28 and Nov. 3. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life.

Saturday, Oct. 29: 10:30 p.m. A student reported that his coat and cell phone were stolen from the kitchen lounge in the basement of Wayland House during a fire alarm evacuation.

Sunday, Oct. 30: 8:53 p.m. Two students reported that they were verbally harassed in Josiah's by a male carrying a toy water gun.

Monday, Oct. 31:6:16 p.m. A student reported that her car, parked on Lloyd Street, was broken into and her cell phone, valued at $250, was stolen from the vehicle.

Tuesday, Nov. 1:12:30 a.m. A student reported that two laptop computers, a gold chain and earrings were stolen from her residence on Waterman Street. One of the windows had been removed and the back door of the residence was left unsecured. PPD units also reported to the scene, but no suspects were identified.

1:15 p.m. Two students reported that their laptop computers were stolen from their unlocked rooms in Perkins Hall. One of the laptops was registered with the DPS Crime Prevention Unit.

5:46 p.m. A student reported that a male passenger in a red, older model sport utility vehicle threw an egg at her while she was sitting with a friend outside of Steiger House.

(Time unspecified) A student reported being verbally harassed at the Maddock Alumni Center. The person responsible was identified.

Wednesday, Nov. 2:A student reported that he had been receiving harassing calls on his cell phone from an anonymous caller.

7:10 p.m. A student reported that his laptop computer, valued at $2,100, was stolen from his unlocked room in Bronson House.

11:00 p.m. A student reported that her laptop computer was stolen from her unlocked room in Harkness House. The residents of the building were hosting a haunted house party at the time of the incident.

Source: Department of Public Safety