Police Log: Five laptop thefts top November crime report

The following summaries include all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Nov. 11 and Dec. 1. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life.

Friday, Nov. 11:7:50 p.m. A student reported that her laptop, valued at $2,000, was stolen from her room in Bronson House while she was taking a shower.

Saturday, Nov. 12:2:18 a.m. As was previously reported in The Herald, an officer was dispatched for assistance to the corner of George and Brown Streets as two groups of black males engaged in a physical altercation. While the officer continued to disperse the crowd, he heard approximately five gunshots. No injuries were reported and those involved were believed to be unaffiliated with the University. No suspects were identified.

Sunday, Nov. 13:1:00 p.m. A student reported that her laptop, iPod and camera were stolen from her residence on Ives Street. She reported that there were no visible signs of a forced entry.

1:11 p.m. A student reported that his cell phone and charger were stolen from his vehicle, parked on George Street. He reported that his front passenger-side window was broken.

3:49 p.m. A student reported that his laptop, valued at $1,500, was stolen from his room in Bronson House while he was taking a shower. He reported that his door was closed but not locked at the time.

Monday, Nov. 14:3:45 a.m. A complainant reported a physical altercation between himself and a coworker on the corner of Brown and George streets. The issue was resolved by the complainant's supervisor.

8:00 a.m. A student reported that a stereo was stolen from his vehicle, parked behind his residence on Benevolent Street. He reported that a rear window was broken.

Tuesday, Nov. 15:3:50 p.m. A student reported that his iPod was stolen from his vehicle, parked on the corner of Benevolent and Magee streets. He reported that his front passenger-side window was broken. 4:00 p.m. A complainant reported that her wallet was stolen from her purse, which was in an unsecured file cabinet in her office in the Faculty Club.

Wednesday, Nov. 16:3:30 p.m. A student reported that her cell phone was stolen from her vehicle, parked near the corner of Hope Street and Stimson Avenue. She reported that her rear passenger-side window was broken. Witnesses later reported that they observed a white male throw a brick through the car window and take an object from the vehicle. No suspect was identified.

Thursday, Nov. 17:10:00 p.m. A student reported that she inadvertently left her wallet in a SafeRIDE van. She later called the shuttle supervisor, but her wallet was not found.

Monday, Nov. 28:1:00 p.m. A complainant reported that a portable GPS system was stolen from his vehicle, parked in Lot 77. He reported that his front passenger-side window was broken.

5:15 p.m. A student reported that $90 was stolen from his wallet, which was left in an unsecured locker in Smith Swim Center.

9:44 p.m. A student reported that his Apple laptop computer was stolen from his room in Perkins Hall, which was left unattended and unsecured for approximately five minutes. Several residents later reported suspicious individuals in the halls, but no suspects were identified.

(Time unspecified) A student reported that his secured blue mountain bike was stolen from the bike rack at the west end of Grad Center Tower B sometime during the Thanksgiving holiday break.

Tuesday, Nov. 29:2:30 p.m. A student reported that her glasses were stolen from her backpack while she was showering in Smith Swim Center. Her backpack, hanging on the shower stall, was covered by a towel at the time.

Thursday, Dec. 1:7:30 p.m. A student reported that his Dell laptop computer, valued at $2,000, was stolen from his unattended and unsecured room in Goddard House. He reported that a blue women's windbreaker was left behind in his room by the unknown person.