Athlete of the Week: W. icers' Myria Heinhuis '06

Defender Myria Heinhuis '06 closed out a stellar career in the ECACHL finals this weekend against Harvard. Though Bruno lost a hard-fought battle 4-3, Heinhuis earned second team all-ECACHL honors. She ranked 11th this season in the conference for defensive scoring and has not missed a game or practice in her four years at Brown. Earlier in the season, she was named first team All Ivy for the second time in her career.

Herald: How did you feel about the end of this season?Heinhuis: It's always bittersweet to lose, especially to Harvard. We've played them 10 times over my four years and lost to them eight of those times. It was nice to make the finals, because it was something we hadn't done in my time here, so that was a good way to end it.

Do you have any superstitions before games?I have to put my left equipment on first. Left skate, my left shin guard, left elbow pad. It doesn't feel right unless I do that.

You're regarded by Herald Sports Staffers as the unsung hero of the hockey team. Being a defender, most of your work isn't in the headlines. What are the perks?I like that you have to work harder to get your name out there. It's more fun that way. As (Head Coach Digit Murphy) always says, "Defense wins the games." It's great to be back there, being a solid part of the team and taking your chances to score when they come. And you get to hit ... to a certain extent.

If you could switch it up and play another position for one game, what would it be?I don't really know if I'd switch. I've always played defense, and maybe center a bit. Defense is what I know and enjoy.

How about playing a different sport?I used to play soccer, volleyball and basketball when I was younger. I played lacrosse in high school and my first year at Brown. If I were to pick up a new sport, I'd go with squash because my dad played it and always wanted me to try.

Does your family get to see you play a lot?My freshman and sophomore years they came about twice a year. ... This year, they were there for the opener and against Cornell and for a week when we went to the all-star game. The last couple of weeks they've been coming a lot more, because it was hard to know when my last game would be, but it was great to have them at our last home games against Dartmouth and the (ECACHL) finals.

What was it like to see past teammates on the ice at the winter Olympics?It's always emotional, but especially so since two of them were seniors when I was a freshman. It means you know you can play with them. You know you're almost at that level, and it's inspiring. You're also so proud of them because that's such an unbelievable accomplishment. You have people like Kathleen Kauth ('01) who has given up everything for the past four years to train for this.

Are you going to play after college?I actually just found out yesterday morning that I have the opportunity to play with the Toronto Aeros (a team in the National Women's Hockey League) next year. I'm really excited and am looking for a job now in Toronto. I'll be playing around all of the Olympians, and because I know I have so much more in me, to have the opportunity to play with the best women hockey players in the world is an opportunity you can't give up.

What sort of jobs are you looking at? What is your concentration?My concentration is international relations, but right now I want to get into marketing, advertising and public relations. That's one good thing about athletes, is you can teach them anything, and they'll be able to pick it up quickly.

If you could trade places with your coach for one day, what would you do?Trade with Dig? Wow. Well, I would pick the day she got to coach the women's team at the NCAA finals the year before I came. I would want to have that experience.

And if you could make her take your place for a day, what would you make her do?Listen to her screaming from the bench. Not as much this year, but my freshman and sophomore years it was intense. I'd want her to have to experience her own wrath.