Panelists tackle issues of class as part of public affairs conference

Panelists debated whether economic or cultural factors play a more important role in the development of class distinctions in American society last night before a crowded Salomon 101. The discussion, titled "Where Are We Headed? Why and How Does Class Still Matter in America?" was moderated by Professor of Economics Glenn Loury and featured New York Times op-ed columnist David Brooks.

The panel - which also included Jared Bernstein, director of the Living Standards program at the Economic Policy Institute, and Louisiana State Rep. Karen Carter - was the second part of the 26th annual Providence Journal/Brown University Public Affairs Conference.

Discussion centered on the interplay of economic, legislative and cultural influences in determining class.

Bernstein began with the assertion that the differences among income classes are escalating, saying, "There's more income mobility in France, Canada and Norway than in the (United States)." While real incomes have grown in all economic classes nationwide, the disparity between lower and upper brackets' respective growth has been staggering. "Inequality is heading up with a vengeance," he said.

An interesting ramification of globalization, he noted, is that a worldwide economy would diminish the magnitude of the trend by lowering the value of more educated professionals. Those whose work can be digitized might be more exposed to worldwide competition. But Brooks disagreed, stating that America seems "well placed to thrive in a global economy."

Carter, who represents New Orleans and has been involved in rebuilding the city following Hurricane Katrina, emphasized the need to focus on existing structures that promote class distinction.

"In a capitalist society it is practically impossible to eradicate class. ... We need to create some level of tolerance and respect among the classes," she said. Objectives included housing and health care reform, "a fair tax system that does not favor the wealthy nor exclude nor excuse the poor" and a special focus on education.

As he did Monday, Brooks argued for the importance of cultural, instead of economic, differences in creating class disparities. It is the "unequal childhoods" of people from a variety of backgrounds that deprive some children of "the linguistic skills they need to succeed," he said.

For his part, Bernstein argued that the economy is so closely intertwined with aspects like education and occupation that "the division is somewhat of a false one." Carter responded that factors like behavioral patterns, spirituality and family structure all contribute significantly to class in ways that are not necessarily economic. As Brooks described, the economy's new emphasis on human capital involves many complicated cultural factors along with economic background.

Panelists also addressed the roles of race and ethnicity. Carter said that voting trends underscore the interaction of class and race in shaping the political leanings of a particular group. Brooks also argued for the importance of group identities, saying that different groups' traditions and ties will always matter.

A look at the boundaries between legislative and personal responsibilities dominated the question-and-answer session following the panel discussion.

Panelists described the grow-ing shift from government responsibility to the privatization of services as a class divider, as those with the least means become more at risk.

Panelists were asked how government policy should address discrepancies in factors like education in a way that diminishes inequality while preserving personal liberties.

Brooks responded that the school system's position is to "give kids an alternative to the home environment they have" and create an equal playing field for students. But he added that "if you're going to criticize a culture, you'd better be in it."