Ted Leo & the Pharmacists to open for Wilco at Spring Weekend

Rock band Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will open for Wilco at Spring Weekend this year, Brown Concert Agency Chair Elizabeth Trongone '06 told The Herald.

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists will perform in Meehan Auditorium on Thursday, April 20, followed by indie rock outfit Wilco. Trongone told The Herald last week that Latin group Yerba Buena will open for rapper Common on the Main Green on Saturday, April 22.

Trongone said it cost $7,500 to bring Ted Leo and the Pharmacists to Brown.

She said the act was a particularly compelling choice because of its ability to blend musical elements.

"Ted Leo comes from a punk background; he started in punk bands," she said. "But then he kind of transitioned into more pop and rock music - and he writes some really good pop songs."

In addition to its musicianship, Trongone said BCA was also drawn by the act's energetic stage presence.

"He's known for his high-energy performance," she said. "We look for someone who gets a good performance."

BCA still has $12,000 remaining in its budget - a considerable sum of money - for two additional opening acts, Trongone said.

"For Thursday, we're hoping for a bigger ticket opener," she said. "But for Saturday at noon, we're looking for a (disc jockey) or local band."

Trongone said BCA tentatively expects to spend between $7,000 and $10,000 on an opener for the Thursday night bill and between $2,000 and $4,000 for an opener for Saturday.

The final lineup may be settled on by this Friday, she said.

- Jonathan Sidhu