The Walkmen and Beirut to play in fall concert series

New York City indie rock band the Walkmen will play for free Oct. 27 in Alumnae Hall as part of a fall concert series, according to Brown Concert Agency Chair Joe Posner '07.

BCA will also offer discounted tickets for Brown and RISD students to three upcoming shows at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel downtown, including acts by Zox, the Fiery Furnaces and Broken Social Scene.

"We've been trying to plan a much bigger fall series than we have in the past," Posner said. "We've got a bigger budget from (the Undergraduate Finance Board) and want to make more music available to students."

Beirut, led by singer-songwriter Zach Condon, is slated to play Leung Gallery Nov. 16 through a partnership among Brown Student Radio, the College Hill Independent and BCA, Posner said. BCA is currently petitioning to move the Beirut show to Sayles Hall.

"They're much smaller in following but an up-and-coming band," Posner said of Beirut. "They played in Boston and New York over the summer and their shows sold out."

It will cost $7,500 and $3,000 to bring the Walkmen and Beirut, respectively, to the University. Posner said additional costs will be incurred by BCA to put on the events. BCA is allocated $19,015 for the fall concert series, according to UFB's Web site. Posner said BCA intends to use all of its fall concert budget.

BCA will also co-sponsor three concerts with Lupo's, offering students tickets for $10 to $15, which includes a $5 discount. The University and BCA did not incur any fees for these discounts. The shows will feature Flogging Molly and Zox on Oct. 10, the Fiery Furnaces and Deerhoof on Oct. 18 and Broken Social Scene and Do Make Say Think on Nov 8.

BCA will begin selling tickets for the Lupo's shows in the post office from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., beginning today and ending Oct. 18. Ticket sales for Beirut will begin in November.