Fusion reaffirms talent but lacks diversity

Fusion Dance Company presented a 17-piece performance last Wednesday through Sunday for its 24th annual show. But rather than a fusion of styles, there seemed to be a fusion between choreography and conservativeness.

Over the years, the students in Fusion have tried to maintain cultural and stylistic diversity, and their consistent talent and range have wowed audiences in the past. Last year, the company performed pieces that included hip-hop, Latin dance, traditional African dance and ballet. But this year the company restrained the fusion, and the majority of the dances were influenced by modern and hip-hop traditions.

Occasionally, there was diversity of style. Karina Fernicola-Ikezoe '09 combined ballet and modern dance with traditional Japanese dance and music in her piece "Ukiyo." "Development," choreographed by Alexander Leydon '07, differed from other hip-hop pieces with a few moments of breakdancing. But that was the limit of the styles of dances.

Nonetheless, the dancers - nearly flawless in every piece - upheld Fusion's usual level of talent. In "Drop Dead Sexy," choreographed by Annesley O'Neal '08, the dancers moved seductively with precision and grace. The seven dancers in "Lost and Found," choreographed by Dianna Anderson '09, enlivened Beyonce's song "Listen" with passion and powerful movement.

The show ended strongly with "Shoot Me in the Face," a hip-hop piece choreographed by Melissa Martinez '08. Dressed in red and black, the entire company filled the stage and moved with force and sharpness, leaving a lasting mark on the audience.

While audience members will surely look forward to Fusion's 25th year, this performance, in comparison to past shows, left something to be desired.