Crime log: Morriss, off-campus parties get busted

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Aug. 31 and Sept. 6. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, Aug. 31:11:25 a.m. Complainant reported that as his son was moving into a dorm room, they signed out a hand truck from the Office of Residential Life. Around 11:00 a.m., the hand truck was left unattended at Wayland Arch. At approximately 11:10 a.m., they returned to Wayland Arch and discovered the hand truck was missing. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Saturday, Sept. 1:12:55 p.m. Complainant reported that sometime between 9 p.m. on Aug. 29 and 10:30 a.m on Aug. 30, unknown person(s) took the emblem off the front grill of his rental car parked in Lot 64.

Sunday, Sept. 2:9:47 p.m. Officers responded to a complaint of underage drinking in Morriss Hall. All students were asked for their Brown ID's and complied by presenting their ID's. Three consumed bottles of vodka were present. Two students admitted to asking two subjects who were of legal age outside a liquor store to purchase them alcoholic beverages. The Residential Peer Leader on the hall arrived on the scene and was informed of the situation. The administrator on call was also notified. All students involved were dispersed.

Monday, Sept. 3:12:18 p.m. Complainant reported that on May 7 he locked his bike in the basement of Young Orchard 10. When he returned on Sept. 3, his bike was missing. Facilities Management stated that they didn't take any bikes from the building.

Complainant reported that he left his room in Vartan Gregorian Quadrangle A at 12:30 a.m. to go across the hall. When he returned 10 minutes later he noticed his laptop and iPod were missing. The door had been left unlocked. There are no suspects or witnesses at this time.

11:48 p.m. A DPS officer responded to an off-campus residence on Ives Street at the request of Providence Police for a house party. The residents, Brown students, were cited by the Providence Police.

11:58 p.m. A DPS officer was dispatched to an off-campus residence on Brown Street for a noise complaint. Providence Police were on scene upon arrival. The residents, Brown students, were cited by the Providence Police.

Tuesday, Sept. 4:12:18 a.m. DPS officers were dispatched for a possible party at an off-campus residence on Benevolent Street. Upon arrival the officers observed over 100 people inside and outside the residence. All were dispersed. Providence Police officers arrived on the scene and the residents, who were Brown students, were cited by the Providence Police.

2:36 a.m. Complainant reported that she left her room in Poland House at 12:30 a.m. and went across the hall to a friend's room. When she returned to her room at 2:30 a.m. she found two laptops missing from her desk, one belonging to her and the other to a friend. The door to the room was not closed or locked. Neither computer was registered with Operation ID, nor are there any suspects or witnesses at this time.

11:05 a.m. Two students reported that on Sept. 3 around 8:30 p.m. they had friends over and then left the room in Olney House. When they returned around 10:30 p.m. their laptops were missing. There was damage to the door and the door frame.

Wednesday, Sept. 5: 11:51p.m. An officer was dispatched to Jameson House for a report of a broken exit sign. A student approached the officer and gave a description of a possible suspect. The area was checked but no one was found fitting the description. Facilities Management was notified.

Thursday, Sept. 6:8:25 a.m. Complainant reported that between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. unknown person(s) damaged the right front bumper of her van parked in Lot 2.

11:00 a.m. Library personnel reported a hole found in a ground level window of the Rockefeller Library. The hole that was discovered appeared to be a bullet hole. There is no time frame for when this damage was done. Upon investigation, a detective made a sweep of the immediate area in an attempt to locate a possible bullet casing; however, none was found. There was no damage to anything in the library and Facilities Management was notified to repair the window.

6:41 p.m. Complainant reported damage to the back window of the driver's side of his vehicle, parked in Lot 77. It appeared that a rock might have punctured the window, which subsequently cracked.