Fukayama, Silver debate biotech and society

Political theorist Francis Fukuyama and Princeton University molecular biology professor Lee Silver discussed biotechnology and how it may benefit society in a packed Salomon 001 Thursday afternoon. The discussion, "Playing God? Biotechnology and the Future of Humanity," was the opening lecture of the Janus Forum series sponsored by Brown's Political Theory Project.

The two public intellectuals spoke individually for 30 minutes, with Fukuyama speaking first. After their lectures, there was an audience question-and-answer session.

In his remarks, Fukuyama said technological advancement in biotechnology cannot be stopped, but society and government should regulate genetic manipulation, since there is no benefit to society if humans can choose physical traits such as sex, eye color and height of their children.

"I figured if I had another three or four inches of height, I would have gotten a few more dates," Fukuyama joked, but he argued that society wouldn't be any better if everyone had their desired height.

Silver, on the other hand, said there are many benefits to biotechnology. He said governments should not, in general, regulate biotechnology since it helps humans by combating disease.

Fukayama did not disagree with Silver on the practical uses of genetic manipulation to treat disease, but he said other applications are less useful.

"I think that some of the technological possibilities in the next few years are ones that are not going to see to the flourishing of human life," Fukuyama said.

Silver, to support his argument that humans must take an active role in determining their own destinies through biotechnology, discussed a five-week trip he made to the African nation of Ghana and noted that many villagers he met there looked to God to cure their diseases. But, he said, "God and Nature doesn't care about pain, suffering and death of individuals. Nature readily sacrifices individuals for the benefit of a gene."

That sentiment sparked some controversy. During the question-and-answer session, during which about 20 people asked questions, one audience member asked Silver how he can "assume that the villagers of Ghana believe in God because they have no better idea."

"They are ignorant. Ignorance means not educated," Silver responded. "If you go to parts of the world where many people are uneducated, many people don't understand the basis for diseases."

In response to Silver, Fukayama said "there is never a simple dichotomy" between religion and science, arguing that corruption and lack of health care play a role in Ghanian faith in God for healing.

Over 100 people were turned away from Salomon by Department of Public Safety officers due to fire code capacity limits, but those who were able to attend the lecture said they appreciated the debate.

"I thought both speakers were very good, although I was a little bit offended about the way Professor Silver reacted towards the question about God," said Faustino Mora '10.

"The presenters gave a good balance between the science behind the issue and the philosophy that underlies the choices that society will be forced to make," said Neil Parikh '11. "It was a nice contrast between a very holistic viewpoint that Fukuyama gave and that of Professor Silver."

Fukuyama is a professor at the Johns Hopkins University's Nitze School of Advanced International Studies and is the director of its International Development Program. He has written eight books, including bestseller "The End of History and the Last Man," in which he argues that, at the end of the Cold War, liberalism triumphed among competing political theories. He was a member of the President's Council on Bioethics from 2001 to 2005 and a member of the policy planning staff of the Department of State in the 1980s, specializing in Middle Eastern affairs and, later, European political and military affairs.

Silver is a professor of molecular biology and public affairs at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs. Silver has published over 200 scientific articles on genetics and has written several books, most recently "Challenging Nature: The Clash of Biotechnology and Spirituality."

Jesse Maddox '08, director of the Janus Forum student committee, said he was pleased with the discussion.

"This is a pretty large operation and it has been turning out well so far," he said. "This is just one of the many things we do in pursuit of our mission of providing a medium to Brown students to engage in political discussion."

The next Janus Forum Lecture, "Is America in the midst of a culture war?" will take place Nov. 29 and will feature Morris Fiorina and James Hunter.