Grad student assaulted on North Main St.

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Sept. 20 and Oct. 3. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring both on and off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Thursday, Sept. 20:

3:10 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the Brown Office Building in reference to a person or persons writing on the building. Upon arrival, there was no one in the immediate area. There were several different unintelligible markings in various different mediums in red. Facilities Management was notified of the graffiti.

10:22 p.m. Officers were dispatched in reference to a noise complaint in Andrews Hall. Upon arrival at the location, there was loud music, the smell of alcohol in the air and empty beer cans piled on furniture. Information was gathered from all occupants and they were dispersed. RISD Security was also notified as there were many RISD students in attendance. Alcohol found at the scene was disposed of.

Friday, Sept. 21:

11:40 p.m. Officer was dispatched to Leung Gallery in Faunce House where a student reported that a rock was thrown through a window. No one in the area could identify who was responsible. Facilities Management was notified and there are no suspects at this time.

Sunday, Sept. 23:

2:25 p.m. Student reported that someone had stolen a flag that was hanging out of his room window in Poland House. The incident occurred between 2 a.m. and 11 a.m. on Sept. 23. There was no sign of forced entry or damage. Also, the same student reported vandalism to his whiteboard. Unknown person(s) had written inappropriate comments on his whiteboard.

Wednesday, Sept. 26:

3:40 a.m. Officer was dispatched and met with a student who stated that she was running the party happening in Buxton House's lounge area. She stated that the music would be turned off and the partiers inside would disperse immediately. The officer cleared the scene, but after walking through the area several more times found that the loud music and yelling from Buxton House continued. Two officers then dispersed a group of 27 students. Upon the second arrival, a student was smoking a cigarette inside the lounge. After speaking with the student about the rules of no smoking inside buildings on campus, the officer discovered 16 empty bottles of champagne inside the lounge. The students inside the party disposed of the empty containers and dispersed.

Friday, Sept. 28:

3:54 a.m. Officer was dispatched to meet with a Brown student living at an off-campus residence on Meeting Street, who stated that at approximately 3 a.m. she heard a noise in the kitchen of the first floor apartment. Upon walking into the kitchen, she observed a broom which had been extended into the room through an open window on the south side of the house. It seemed the broom was being used to push a chair closer to the window. She also noticed that the south exterior entry door had been opened. The interior entry door leading into the main house was locked. She did not see any suspects in the area. Providence Police was dispatched to the scene and took a report.

10:33 a.m. An officer was dispatched to New Pembroke #3, where the officer spoke with a student who stated that at about 2 a.m. she and her roommate were asleep in their dorm room. She stated she is a light sleeper and at that time she heard her dorm-room door click but saw no one come in the room. A few seconds later she heard a second click and still saw no one come into the room. After a few more seconds she opened her eyes again and there was a large white male standing in the room looking in the direction of the beds. She said that the male turned around to her roommate's desk and was doing something to the laptop. She stated that she got out of bed and confronted the male, asking him what he was doing. The male said, "I live here, don't worry," and left the room. She then locked the room door and went back to bed.

6:51 p.m. Student stated that at approximately 5:30 p.m. he left his black wallet and Nokia cell phone in the southeast corner of the practice field next to the soccer goals. He stated that at approximately 6:45 p.m. he returned for his belongings, and they were gone.

Sunday, Sept. 30:

7:46 p.m. A Brown student stated that at about 5 p.m. she left her laptop unsecured in a book bag in an unsecured classroom in the Sciences Library. She returned at approximately 7:25 p.m., and the laptop had been taken from the book bag. There are no suspects at this time.

Tuesday, Oct. 2:

1:19 a.m. A Brown police officer was on patrol and monitoring radio traffic when he heard the Sterling Security post at Thayer and Cushing streets request police assistance. The Sterling Security officer stated that a subject was sitting in his car at Thayer and Cushing streets and was in possession of a firearm. While en route to the location, the Brown police officer observed a Providence Police officer in the parking lot at Thayer Street and Fones Alley and requested assistance. The officers responded to the location and approached the vehicle and ordered the subject to place his hands on the steering wheel. Officers asked if he had a gun and he stated yes. The officers approached the subject and took him out of the car. He was ordered to the ground and was thoroughly searched for weapons. None were found. At this time, another Brown police officer searched the car and located a plastic toy gun in the car. After further inquiry into the incident, the toy gun was seized by Brown police, and the Providence Police stated that they would not be arresting the subject.

3:02 p.m. At approximately 3 p.m. an officer was dispatched to the Rockefeller Library for a report of an attempted robbery. The victim, who is a Brown graduate student, stated that at approximately 2:25 p.m. she was crossing North Main Street, across from the RIPTA bus tunnel, when she was attacked from behind by an unknown black female. The suspect demanded her MP3 player and then struck her approximately 4 or 5 times in the back of the head. The suspect then fled on foot east up Waterman Street with four or five other black females approximately 15 to 16 years of age. While at the Rockefeller Library, the victim was complaining of head pain and was taken by a Brown detective to Health Services and was then transported to Rhode Island Hospital. DPS and Providence Police are investigating.

10:25 p.m. Officer was dispatched to the area of Hope and Power streets for a report of a handbag snatch. The victim, a Brown student, stated that she was talking on her cell phone while walking southbound on Hope Street when she heard someone running behind her. As the person(s) ran by, they bumped into her. She described them as two adolescent black males between 12 and 16 years of age. They ran past her eastbound on Power Street toward Governor Street. After they ran past, she realized that they had stolen her handbag. The victim was not injured during the incident. The area was searched to no avail. DPS and Providence Police are investigating.