Brawl on George Street and small fires at Jo's reported to DPS

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Oct. 25 and Oct. 31. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring both on and off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Thursday, Oct. 25:

10:32 a.m. Student stated that on Oct. 23 at about 9 a.m., he chained his bike to the older bike rack outside Wilson Hall. When he returned to get it on Oct. 24, it was gone. He noticed that the bike rack was loose from the ground.

Sunday, Oct. 28:

2:20 a.m. Two Brown students stated that some verbal exchanges were made between them and several unknown subjects occupying a silver vehicle. The vehicle stopped and a fight ensued in the middle of George Street. Providence Police units in the area also stopped to investigate. No one involved wished to press charges. The students were transported to Rhode Island Hospital. DPS detectives are investigating.

Monday, Oct. 29:

12:55 p.m. An officer was dispatched to take a report of graffiti on the third floor of Vartan Gregorian Quadrangle B. Black dry erase marker was all over the walls between rooms 301 and 351. The incident occurred between 3 p.m. on Oct. 26 and 8 a.m. on Oct. 29. There are no suspects at this time.

3:28 p.m. An officer was dispatched to speak with a residential counselor in New Pembroke 4. She stated that a student was leaving the dorm when a male was walking in. The person was asked to identify himself. He did not and said that he was here to see a friend. The unknown male was walking around the inside of the building and checking the dorm rooms. The reporting party stated this person was talking on a cell phone and it appeared that he was talking to himself on the phone. She also stated that he appeared to be unstable. A check of the area was done but no one was found.

Tuesday, Oct. 30:

5:47 a.m. A Facilities Management employee reported that somebody has been lighting small fires in the handicapped men's restroom at Josiah's. He stated that the fires are fueled by toilet paper and have left burn marks on the floor. He said that this is the third time this has happened this year.

Wednesday, Oct. 31:

3:05 p.m. Complainant stated that between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. on Oct. 30, unknown person(s) slashed the rear tire on his bicycle that was located on the bike rack on the West side of Barbour Hall. There are no suspects at this time.

7:16 p.m. Complainant reported that between 7:20 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Oct. 31 the window of his vehicle in Lot 89 had been shattered.