Need holiday gifts? Hit RISD

How about giving the gift of a battery-eating "monster" or a toucan can opener for Christmas? As post-Thanksgiving holiday shopping geared up this weekend, some Providence shoppers looking for unique gift offerings turned to risd|works - the Rhode Island School of Design's retail store and design showroom on Westminster Street.

Since its creation in 2001, the store has sold works from over 400 RISD alums and faculty. Earlier this month, the store launched its 2008 Collection, including items from 42 alumni artists representing a variety of RISD departments. The collection includes 40 or so pieces, said Ann Smith, a sales associate at the store.

The new items include the "monster" - a refrigerator magnet that drains residual energy from used AA batteries - designed by David Dear RISD'85 - and a "toucan" opener - a can opener shaped like a toucan's head - designed by the team of Christopher Raia RISD'95 and Andrea Zatarain RISD'96.

One of the most striking pieces in the new collection is "Reveal" by Adam Frank RISD'92 - a light projection of a silhouetted window and a tree moving gently beyond it.

The works include both handmade crafts and mass-produced designs, such as David Wiesner's RISD'78 illustrated children's book "Flotsam," which won the 2007 Caldecott Medal. Other items in the collection include jewelry, ceramics, games and DVDs.

Also featured at the store are a variety of memorabilia for the animated television series "Family Guy," created by Seth MacFarlane RISD'95.

In addition to the items on sale year-round at risd|works, RISD will present its Alumni Holiday Art Sale on Dec. 8 at the Rhode Island Convention Center. The sale is one of three alumni art sales that happen every year and is unconnected to risd|works, though it will likely feature similar items, Smith said. The sale will feature work from more than 200 artists, with 45 new to the sale, according to a press release. Admission to the sale is $7 and free to RISD students with an ID.