Chuck Norris doesn't cry, but he does sue

If you believe the online "Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator," then you know that the martial arts expert and actor "does not read books. He stares at them until he gets the information he needs." In the case of Ian Spector's '09 new book, he's locked in more than a staring match. In December, Norris sued Penguin Group in an attempt to stop publication of "The Truth About Chuck Norris: 400 Facts About the World's Greatest Human."

Norris, the "Walker, Texas Ranger" star, was denied a temporary restraining order against Penguin to stop book sales, according to Stacy Noble, Spector's publicist.

Spector created the "Chuck Norris Random Fact Generator" on his website, http://4Q.cc/, in the summer of 2005. The Web site also includes "Fact Generators" about the actors Mr. T and Vin Diesel. The satirical "facts," which poke fun at Norris's tough-guy persona, are submitted by Web site visitors. Some of the highest-ranked "facts" include "Chuck Norris can speak Braille," and "Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad he never cries."

Norris once publicly recited "facts" from Spector's website on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period," a show on Fox Sports. More recently, Norris appeared in a television ad endorsing Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee, who recited some "facts" similar to those found on Spectors' site.

The "Random Fact Generator" became a Web sensation, and publishers began approaching Spector in the spring of 2006.

When the book was published on Nov. 29, Norris asked the U.S. District Court in New York City to suppress publication of the book on Dec. 21, according to a Penguin press release. The release also said Norris would probably file another motion in February to enjoin the book's sale and publication. Norris' case is based on trademark infringement, according to a clerk at the federal court. Reuters reported on Dec. 21 that Norris is suing for unjust enrichment and privacy rights. It is unclear what Norris is seeking in damages.

The book has sold over 70,000 copies so far, according to the Penguin press release, which was issued Tuesday. The book is currently the No. 1-selling "Jokes and Riddles" book on Amazon.com.

Penguin doesn't seem worried about its dispute with Norris. In the press release, the company said it expected him to be unsuccessful "in his effort to suppress what is an obviously humorous commentary on the iconic status that Norris enjoys, and which he unabashedly exploits when campaigning for Mike Huckabee."

Spector declined to speak to The Herald about the lawsuit, but commented about the case in a Jan. 13 article in the New York Times.

Norris "takes himself very seriously," Spector told the Times. "Maybe because he takes himself so seriously, it makes it all the more ridiculous."