Ellis Rochelson '09: Santana's Clause is Coming to Town

"...Hillary came back with a left hook in New Hampshire, and the Mets traded four prospects/projects for the game's best pitcher, Johan Santana."

-Tom Trudeau '09, Herald Columnist

To pick up where Tom left off - yes, it's true! Johan Santana, the world's best starting pitcher, is leaving the Twin Cities for the fresh air of Flushing, Queens. Trade talks have swirled around Johan since November. Fans eventually tired of checking MLBtraderumors.com every day as the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets carefully bid for the lefty's services. Now that the deal is finally completed we can analyze the effects it will have.

As a Yankee fan, I felt surprisingly conflicted about the potential of Santana landing in the Bronx. A few months ago it was revealed that New York was willing to part with blue-chip starting pitcher and fan-favorite Phil Hughes in a deal for Johan. I struggled with my opinion of this offer. On one hand, a Red Sox rotation including Santana would be virtually unstoppable - perhaps the Yankees should do whatever is necessary to keep him out of Beantown? No, I told myself - New York is finally going in the right direction, focusing on developing homegrown talent and not trading for expensive, older stars. Plus, Hughes is only 21; his devastating curveball, combined with Joba Chamberlain's nasty slider, could dominate at the top of the Yanks' rotation for many years. I had this argument with myself over and over again, for months, hoping secretly that it would just resolve itself and go away.

Thankfully, it did.

For me, Johan landing in Queens is the ideal scenario. The Yanks keep their prospects, the Red Sox remain beatable and I get to witness Johan's brilliance in my own backyard. But enough about me - how does this affect the Mets?

Briefly, let's establish who this "Johan" guy is. Since 2004 - his first year exclusively as a starting pitcher - Johan has an ERA of 2.89 and has struck out over a batter per inning. He has led the American League in walks and hits allowed per inning (WHIP) every season since 2004 - an incredible accomplishment. The scary thing is, he's about to get even better.

First of all, he is leaving the homer-friendly Metrodome for spacious Shea Stadium. This means fewer home runs allowed, which was Santana's Achilles heel last season. Plus, the lineups in the National League lack a Designated Hitter; since Johan will face a pitcher or a lowly pinch hitter every ninth at-bat, he'll have an even easier time breezing through lineups. In the AL Central, Johan often had to face the following DHs: Travis Hafner, Gary Sheffield and Jim Thome. Now give the bat to John Smoltz, Kyle Kendrick or Anibal Sanchez - Santana will feel like he's back in the Dominican Little League.

With no DH, a spacious outfield, an above-average defense and a superb supporting offense, Santana will succeed with the Mets like he never has before. And I know I speak for a lot of Yankee fans when I say: That's cool with us, man. Just stay out of our league.

Ellis Rochelson '09 is waiting for Captain Jeter to endorse Barack Obama. Any day now...