View Larger Map

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between March 13, 2008 and April 2. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St. Thursday, March 13:1:37 a.m. Officers were dispatched for a report of someone throwing garbage out of a window in Jameson House onto Charlesfield Street. Upon arrival, an officer was approached by a concerned resident who stated that there was a group of males running down the hall smashing exit signs. The officer witnessed a male hanging from the exit sign, which the perpetrator then ripped down along with part of the ceiling. The case has been turned over to Student Life.

2:36 a.m. After hearing the report of an assault on his Providence Police scanner, a DPS officer responded to the scene on the corner of Hope and Power Streets and found there were Brown students involved. PPD served as the lead investigators. A female stated that she was walking home from a local bar with an ex-boyfriend when another ex-boyfriend saw her and was enraged. He got out of his vehicle and pushed them to the ground. Providence Police handled the incident, and the case has been turned over to Student Life.

Time unknown. An employee reported that between 4 p.m. on March 11 and 2 p.m. on March 13, unknown persons pried the security cable off a laptop computer and took it from Alumnae Hall.

8:40 p.m. An officer noticed graffiti on both sides of the walls of Faunce House near the entrance to the Post Office on Waterman Street. The Department of Facilities Management was notified.

Saturday, March 15:12:33 a.m. Officers were dispatched for a report of a suspicious male in Andrews Hall. The suspect took off running. A DPS officer and detective chased the suspect and apprehended him on North Main Street. During the investigation the suspect admitted to stealing laptops from dorms on campus. He was turned over to Providence Police for charging.

Sunday, March 16:12:26 a.m. While at a party at Buxton House, two students were involved in an altercation over a mutual friend. One male shoved the other and it caused his glasses to fall to the ground and break. The parties were advised to go their separate ways. The student wants to be reimbursed for his glasses. The matter was turned over to Student Life.

Monday, March 17:1:59 p.m. A student reported that sometime between 11 p.m. on March 14 and 9 a.m. on March 16, someone poured maple syrup all over her motor scooter in Lot 77 at Brook and Benevolent Streets.

Tuesday, March 18:4:31 p.m. A student stated that between 9:15 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. on March 10, an unknown male subject snuck up behind her and grabbed her while she was walking on Benevolent Street. She elbowed the subject in the gut while stomping on his foot, which led him to loosen his grip and then she kneed him in the groin, causing him to fall. She then took off running. Providence Police were dispatched to DPS headquarters to take a report on the incident.

Wednesday, March 19:8:52 p.m. While on routine patrol, an officer discovered graffiti on the wall of Pembroke Field House near the entrance door and also an additional tag on the back of the building. Facilities Management was notified.

Friday, March 21:1:38 p.m. An employee reported that on two occasions, unknown persons removed cash from her wallet, which was in her desk drawer at 70 Ship Street. DPS detectives are investigating.

4:23 p.m. While on patrol, an officer observed graffiti on the left rear door of Wilson Hall.

9:51 p.m. While on patrol, an officer noticed people on the roof of Champlin Hall. Upon arrival he saw three males who were holding beer cans attempting to leave the area. The beer was dumped out on the scene and they were told not to go on the roof. The case has been turned over to Student Life.

Saturday, March 22:1:11 a.m. Two students were involved in an altercation on George Street. Providence Police were on scene.

Sunday, March 23:7:41 p.m. A student stated that he and his suitemates had returned to their suite in Grad Tower B, which had been left unlocked, to discover that his laptop had been stolen from his room, which had also been left unlocked. He stated that they had been in the room at approximately 7 p.m. and returned to the room at approximately 7:30 p.m. to find the laptop missing.

Additionally, another student reported that his Nintendo Wii game console, two remotes, four controllers and all of the wires and plugs for the system were taken. A camera and iPod were also taken. There are no suspects at this time.

Tuesday, March 25:12:17 p.m. An employee stated that between 10 a.m. and 12 p.m., her shoulder bag was stolen from her desk on the fifth floor of Barus and Holley. She stated that her bag was left unsecured and unattended. The area was checked for the bag and a suspect. The bag was located in a fifth floor men's bathroom. The only thing that was discovered missing was $20 in cash.

Friday, March 28:10:55 a.m. An employee reported that on two separate occasions money was stolen from her wallet that was in her handbag in a laboratory at 70 Ship Street. She stated that on January 18, cash was stolen from her wallet that was left on her desk. In addition, she reported that sometime in February, cash was stolen from her wallet. Both instances, the suspect left mostly one dollar bills behind in the wallet. The door was reported locked at all times. There are no signs of forced entry and no suspects at this time. DPS detectives are investigating.

11:33 a.m. An employee reported that between March 20 and March 25, cash was stolen from her wallet in a lab at 70 Ship Street. She reported that a few one dollar bills were left in the wallet and that the room was locked at all times. There were no signs of forced entry and there are no suspects at this time. DPS detectives are investigating. Saturday, March 29:3:22 p.m. While on patrol, an officer noticed graffiti on Alumnae Hall. Facilities Management was notified.

Sunday, March 3010:04 p.m. While on patrol, an officer observed that four vehicles in Lot 7 had flat tires. Upon further investigation, he observed that the tires had been cut. (P)

Tuesday, April 14:29 p.m. Officers were dispatched for a report of a stolen motor vehicle on Bowen Street. An employee stated that her vehicle was parked and secured at 10 a.m. When she returned at 4 p.m., she discovered that her vehicle had been stolen. Providence Police arrived on scene and took a report. The vehicle was recovered the next day.

11:27 p.m. A student set off a fire alarm in Keeney Quad because he sprayed his brother with a fire extinguisher. The matter has been turned over to Student Life.

Wednesday, April 28:38 a.m. An officer was dispatched for a report of a fire safety violation in Champlin Hall. Upon arrival, the University Fire Marshal pointed out two electric frying pans that students were using to fry food in grease. He also stated that the students were then taki
ng the used grease and dumping it out of the lounge window. The marshal confiscated both frying pans from the kitchen and lounge area.