Ellis Rochelson '09: October baseball: National League

The National League is a bunch of losers. The four teams from the Senior Circuit heading to the 2008 playoffs have no recent histories of success. The Los Angeles Dodgers haven't won a championship for 20 years. The Phillies have won only one World Series ever, and that was almost 30 years ago. The Milwaukee Brewers have never won it all. And the Chicago Cubs haven't taken the crown since 1908 - exactly one hundred years ago - when the legendary Tinker, Evers, and Chance manned the infield at Wrigley.

One of these losers will make it to the World Series, delighting a fan base starved for success. Sorry to ruin the surprise, but here's how the 2008 NL playoffs will shake out:

National League Division Series, Milwaukee (90-72) vs. Philadelphia (92-70)

TBS must be thrilled because these games are going to be great to watch. The Brewers and Phillies powered their way to the playoffs with flame-throwing pitchers and larger-than-life sluggers. Think Milwaukee's C.C. Sabathia and his 1.65 ERA is unstoppable? He'll be facing the team with the most home runs in the league, led by Ryan Howard (48 HRs) and Chase Utley (33 HRs). Think Cole Hamels will continue to dominate? Sluggers Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun have his number, slugging almost .700 against the Phils' ace.

Both teams have power, both teams have starting pitching, but only the Phillies have a dominating closer. When the pressure is on, the Phils send out NL Comeback Player of the Year Brad Lidge (1.95 ERA, 41 saves in 41 chances). The Brewers have to turn to soft-throwing 36-year-old Salomon Torres. Expect a handful of blown saves by Torres to hand the Phillies a series victory.

The Verdict: Phillies win series, 3-1.

National League Division Series, Los Angeles (84-78) vs. Chicago (97-64)

Everyone and their mothers are rooting for the Chicago Cubs to win it all this year after 100 years of disappointment. It won't be hard to take one step closer, as the Cubs face the barely-above-average L.A. Dodgers. The Dodgers made the playoffs due to their fortuitous location - the lowly NL west. Their 84 wins would've earned them fifth place in the NL Central, where the Cubs dominated as the best team in the league. The Cubs are the highest-slugging team in the league; the Dodgers are 13th. The Dodgers have a terrific bullpen, but their rotation is no match for Rich Harden (1.78 ERA), Ryan Dempster (2.96) and Carlos Zambrano (3.91). It will be fun to watch the cameras pan from Cubs manager Lou Pineilla to L.A. skipper Joe Torre - both legendary managers with diametrically opposed temperaments - but the on-field action will be pretty one-sided.

The Verdict: Sweeeeeeeep. Cubs win series, 3-0.

National League Championship Series, Cubs vs. Phillies

Here's where "clutch" counts. The Cubs hit a healthy .278 in "Close & Late" situations this season, while the Phillies hit a measly .249. Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez is frighteningly good in these vital scenarios, hitting .423 when it counts the most. A-Ram will hit a walk-off home run in game seven, sending the Cubbies to the World Series for the first time since 1945.

The Cubs will have a chance to shed the reputation as the Lovable Losers of baseball. Their opponent in the 2008 World Series will be revealed... after the break. I mean, in my next column.

Ellis Rochelson '09 is calling it now: So Taguchi will make headlines this October.