Brown alums honored with 2008 sportsmanship awards

The NCAA announced that Sarah Wu '08 and Damon Huffman '08 received the 2008 Sportsmanship Award for their outstanding athletic achievements as well as their constant sportsmanship and ethical conduct throughout their careers. Wu starred on the women's crew all four years during her Brown career. During her rookie season, the Bears took third place at the NCAA Championships, and the following year improved to take second place at the NCAA's. During Wu's last two years, Brown won back-to-back NCAA Championships, with Wu as coxswain on the varsity eight during both competitions. For her exemplary performances in guiding the Bears, Wu was honored as a Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association All-American in 2008, and was also named to the ESPN magazine's Academic All-American At-Large Team. She can now add the NCAA 2008 Sportsmanship Award to that list of prestigious awards.

Huffman started 92 games over his four years of playing point guard on the basketball team, and walked out the Van Wickle Gates as a top-10 performer in several categories, including the 10th-leading scorer in Brown history. He also owns the Bears' record for career three-pointers made, and is fifth on the list for all-time steals. As a freshman, Huffman made his presence felt immediately as he started 16 games and won the Ivy League Rookie of the Year award, which was only the second time Bruno had a rookie receive that honor. His sophomore season, he started in every single game and was one of Brown's most consistent offensive threats. Huffman's junior year showed his continued improvement, as he earned Honorable Mention All-Ivy honors and finished seventh in the Ivy League in scoring, and was also named the recipient of the Rusty Taylor '71 Coaches Award for dedication and loyalty to the team. During his senior campaign, Huffman led the Bears to one of the best seasons in school history, as the team set a school record with 19 wins and finished second in the Ivy League. Huffman was again the model of consistency, as he started in every game and was named First Team All-Ivy.

- Megan McCahill