Equestrian builds lead in league standings

The equestrian team took second place at the University of Connecticut on Saturday, and their strong showing increased their lead in the league standings. With only one show left in the season, the Bears now lead second place URI by 17 points.

Brown was led by Elizabeth Giliberti '10, who has been outstanding for Brown all season. She got the Bears off to a great start by earning the blue ribbon in the first class of the Open Flat, and followed up later in the show with a second-place finish in Open Fences. In the process, Giliberti also increased her lead to six points in the prestigious Cacchione Cup standings, which decides the best rider in the country.

While Giliberti's performance was certainly a highlight for the Bears, she received plenty of help, as many of Bruno's top riders contributed strong performances on Saturday. Brown had a crop of first place performances, as Allegra Aron '11 took first place in the second class of the Open Flat and Elise Fishelson '11 also added a blue ribbon in her class, and Emily Bourdeau '10 finished on top of the final class in Intermediate Flat. The Bears' freshmen also snatched their fair share of blue ribbons, as Cara Rosenbaum '12, Kelsey MacMillan '12 and Rebecca McGoldrick '12 also earned first place finishes for the Bears in Walk Trot Canter, Walk Trot and Novice Fences, respectively.

Also contributing for Brown was Dakota Gruener '11, who took second place in both the second class of Intermediate Flat and in Intermediate Fences. The Bears finished the show just four points behind UConn, but increased their lead in the league standings by five points.

The Bears will close out their fall season this Saturday at Wesleyan, and seem to be in great shape to finish in first place in the league standings.

- Megan McCahill