Providence voters say they're satisfied by voting experience

Click here to view more photos and videos of election day in Providence.

"I'm just looking for some kind of election action," Anand Puravangara said as he watched voters enter the polls at Hope High School Tuesday. Although Puravangara, an Indian national, can't vote, he said he's "electrified by Barack Obama's campaign."

As Rhode Islanders cast ballots in record numbers yesterday for the presidential election, short lines and moderate temperatures helped contribute to a festive atmosphere. "It feels like Christmas," said Eleftherios Pavlides, architecture professor at Roger Williams University. "It's the first election that feels like that."

Puravangara though, was not impressed. "I was expecting some hardcore volunteers since this is a neck-and-neck election."

"Back home in India, the election is a big thing - the officials are all there," Puravangara said. He added that he was "disappointed" in the calm efficiency of Providence polling places.

Poll worker Donna DelSanto said the voting at Hope High had been steady since the polls opened at 7 a.m. DelSanto said that some voters were confused about the location of the polling booths - on the side of the building rather than by the main entrance. But other than that, she said, "it's been smooth sailing."

Professor Emeritus of Applied Mathematics Ulf Grenander said, "It was a little difficult entering the building, figuring out where it is," but added that voting is "a citizen's duty."

"It was very organized and efficient," Amy Hsu MD'10 said. "It wasn't crowded at all. I was expecting a line."

"These guys are good," said Neel Lanoue, a retiree, grinning. "They know what they're doing."

Excitement about a prospective Obama victory was high at polls throughout Providence. "He's a leader I'm looking forward to," Puravangara said. "A leader for the whole world."

"I've never been as committed to a campaign as I am to this one," said Joan Vincent, a designer and writer. Vincent said she supported Obama because he is "the whole package."

"It's exciting to finally make that vote, (to) connect the dots for Obama," said Edgar Woznica '09. Woznica said he was sure that Rhode Island's electoral votes would go for Obama, "so I'm just voting because of civic duty."

Cars honked loudly as they pulled up to the Dunkin' Donuts Center, where Providence residents were able to register and vote in the presidential election simultaneously. Voters entering the building shouted "Obama!" as a crowd of new voters, many young and nonwhite, lined up to register. Julie Rivera, a hairdresser, smiled widely at strangers as she waited outside. "I had years of voting in Providence," Rivera said. "But Barack, he's the best."

First-time voters stressed the historic nature of the election when describing their reasons for casting a ballot. "I want to be heard," said Marcus Mitchell, currently unemployed. "It's a big day, a historic day."

"We've been railroaded for eight years," Mitchell said. "What's the point of getting four more when we have change? It's what we need."

"I came out to vote for my man Barack," said John Morgan, a Bank of America employee.

"I'm here to support the president I believe in," said Audrey Amigashi, a first-time voter who only became a U.S. citizen on Monday. Amigashi said voting is important because "it can change the lives of yourself and your family."

"This election matters," said John Jannotti, assistant professor of computer science. "Even if Rhode Island is a foregone conclusion."

Not all voters were as confident as Jannotti about the election's outcome. "I burned a voodoo candle," Leigh Anna Dwyer '09 said. "I was just burning a little candle with good thoughts for Obama because he's my man."

"Obama is young and intelligent," Puravangara agreed. "He can get this country out of a muddy hole and make it number one in the world again."