Weekend games to watch: Football looks for Ivy title

Brown's winter sports seasons are under way, and several Brown teams are starting to heat up. Here are the games Brown fans should be watching this weekend, and the football team's chance to win its fourth Ivy League title tops our list of must-see games this weekend.

TonightW. Ice Hockey vs. Niagara, 7 p.m. at Meehan AuditoriumBruno is coming off of its most impressive weekend of the season, as the team's offense came to life in a 3-2 overtime loss to Cornell and a 4-3 win over Colgate. Look for ECAC Rookie of the Week Paige Pyett '12 to bring solid play on both ends of the ice, as the defenseman has three goals and two assists in eight games this season. The Bears will also be looking for assistant captain Andrea Hunter '10 to continue her recent offensive production after scoring two goals and two assists in the Bears' games last weekend.

SaturdayFootball vs. Columbia, 12:30 p.m. at Brown StadiumThe Bears' last game of the season is a huge one, as the Bears (6-3, 5-1 Ivy) have a chance to clinch at least a share of the Ivy League Championship with a win over the Lions (2-7, 2-4). Coming off of last weekend's 45-16 victory at Dartmouth, Brown is currently tied for first place in the league with Harvard, whom Bruno beat 24-22 earlier in the season. The game will be the last time the team's 22 seniors will wear a Brown uniform, and a win on Saturday will put the seniors in the school record books as the only class in Brown history to win two Ivy League titles after their impressive 9-1 campaign in 2005. The Bears will look to quarterback and captain Michael Dougherty '09, who was named the Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week for the second time this year after passing for 238 yards and two touchdowns against the Big Green.

Men's Basketball vs. Northwestern, 7 p.m. at Pizzitola Center.Bruno will continue its difficult schedule, taking on a tough Big Ten opponent in the Wildcats (2-0). Northwestern will be hungry for revenge after falling to Brown on its home court last season, while the Bears (1-2) enter the game with momentum, fresh off their first win, 62-57 over Holy Cross. Look for Matt Mullery '10 and tri-captain Peter Sullivan '11, the Bears' leading scorers over their first three games, to lead the way for the Bears on offense. Brown will call upon tri-captains Scott Friske '09 and Chris Skrelja '09 to continue their well-rounded play this season by grabbing rebounds and dishing out assists. Guard Adrian Williams '11 is another exciting player to watch, as he is coming off a career-high 16 points against the Crusaders, and appears to be on the verge of having a breakout season for the Bears.