Women's crew finishes fall season with sweep, setting school record

The women's crew team wasn't tired after its trip to the White House last week, finishing its fall season in dominating style at the Foot of the Charles Regatta in Boston over the weekend. The team won all three events: the Varsity 4, Freshman 8 and 3 Varsity 8. They easily captured the overall team title.

In the first race of the day, the Bears earned four of the top 12 finishes in the varsity four race, including first and sixth from the two fours that were made up of rowers from the Bears' varsity eight. The first four rowed across the finish line in 14:15, cruising to a 7-second victory over second-place Radcliffe. Perhaps even more impressively, Brown's third and fourth boats finished only 40 seconds behind the first, a much smaller gap than any other team at the regatta, signalling the outstanding depth of the Bruno squad that has won back-to-back NCAA titles.

In the second event, Bruno's freshmen continued the rout, placing first and sixth in the freshman eight contest. The first boat finished in 13:34, the fastest time of the day in any event, and a full 22 seconds ahead of Radcliffe, which once again finished second. The Bears' second boat finished in 14:29, beating many team's "A" boats, including UMass, Northeastern, and Boston College. In the final event of the day, Bruno's 3V8 boat completed the Brown sweep in dominating fashion, crossing the finish line 25 seconds ahead of the runner-up with a time of 13:49. Only four other boats were within one of Bruno's time.

The sweep also marked the best team score in Brown's history at the Foot of the Charles, giving the team plenty of momentum heading into the spring season.