Classrooms get revamp over break

Correction appended.

Classes meeting in Wilson Hall 102 this semester have brand-new seats and a cutting-edge audio-visual system, thanks to a major renovation over winter break. This, and more subtle improvements were conducted across campus prior to the start of spring semester.

A "classroom task force" implemented the first stage of a $4.5-million renovation initiative this winter, Vice President for Facilities Management Stephen Maiorisi wrote in an e-mail to The Herald. The budget includes $1.8 million for lecture halls, $900,000 for new furniture and $1.5 million for "new or upgraded instructional technology," he wrote.

The budget also includes $300,000 for "enhanced technology pilot projects," a category that encompasses "intelligent white boards, lecture capture, video conferencing and podium computers," Maiorisi wrote.

Wilson 102 is the poster child for the recent renovations. In addition to new carpeting, window coverings and upholstered seats, the lecture hall was outfitted with an EIKI Widescreen Powerhouse Projector. An oversized screen installed for the projector retracts into the ceiling, allowing the room to be transformed from a classroom to a movie theater and back again.

"That projector is a monster," said Melissa Diaz '10, a student in POLS 1450: "Political Economy of Development," which meets in the classroom.

Aaron Wee '10, who is taking the same class, said he was also impressed by the upgrades to Wilson 102. "It sure beats the old

one," he said.

Assistant Professor of Political Science Melani Cammett, who teaches the class, said she was pleasantly surprised by the improvements.

"It's beautiful," Cammett said, adding that the new technology, which includes a touch-screen remote, is "very user-friendly."

Three other classrooms in Wilson - 106, 206 and 306 - were upgraded with 63-inch plasma screen televisions.

Other classrooms in Wilson and Barus and Holley got a fresh coat of paint over break, while carpets in Hunter Laboratory and Orwig Music Library were steam-cleaned, according to Maiorisi. Two basement classrooms in Sayles Hall were both painted and steam-cleaned, and a number of rooms around campus had room-darkening shades installed, he added.

A "lack of comfortable flexible seating with adequate work space" and inadequate audio-visual equipment are among the priorities for the classroom task force, according to Maiorisi, adding that 191 classrooms on campus were photographed, evaluated and rated for upgrade priority.

Technology upgrades will continue through this semester and into the summer, Maiorisi wrote.

A photo caption on page 3 in Friday's paper accompanying an article about classroom renovations incorrectly identified a classroom as Wilson Hall 102. While the article discussed renovations to Wilson 102, the classroom pictured is in Barus and Holley.