Laptops, GPS, alcohol among items stolen from offices, closet recently

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Jan. 15 and Feb. 4. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield Street.

Thursday, Jan. 154:35 p.m. A Brown employee stated that he stepped out of his office in Hunter Lab for five minutes. The door to the office was left open, and when he returned he noticed his Brown-owned laptop was gone.

Wednesday, Jan. 212:09 p.m. Complainant stated that between 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 7 her cell phone and $60 were stolen from Mencoff Hall. At the time of the larceny, the items were left unattended and unsecured in a basement classroom. There are no suspects at this time.

Friday, Jan. 2310:13 a.m. DPS received a report that a large bulletin board had been forced off the wall outside the women's restroom in the basement of Faunce House.

Tuesday, Jan. 277:02 p.m. An employee reported that around 1:30 p.m. she left her office in Alumnae Hall unlocked for ten minutes. When she returned nothing seemed unusual. However, at 5 p.m. when she opened her pocketbook, she noticed that her wallet was missing.

Thursday, Jan. 291:38 p.m. An employee stated that she left her office for lunch from 12 p.m. until 12:30 p.m. When she returned, her University-owned laptop was missing. She said that she did not lock the door to her office when she went to lunch. There are no suspects at this time.

Friday, Jan. 3010:29 p.m. A student reported that between the hours of 4 p.m. and 7:55 p.m., eight bottles of alcohol were taken from a closet in King House.

10:29 p.m. A student reported that the fraternity-owned projector had been stolen from a storage room in the basement of King House. She stated that the fraternity had hosted a class F party on the night of Saturday, Jan. 24, and the projector had been in the storage room at the start of the party. The projector was noticed missing at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 25. On Feb. 2, DPS was informed that the projector had been found in a janitorial closet.

Saturday, Jan. 319:13 p.m. A student reported that his iPhone was taken while he was working out at the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center. He stated that at 5:30 p.m. he placed his phone in a red bin by the center basketball courts. When he returned he noticed the phone was missing.

Sunday, Feb. 112:10 p.m. A student reported that sometime between Dec.19 and Feb. 2, the bike pump attached to her bike was taken from the bike room in Barbour Hall.

Monday, Feb. 24:06 p.m. Complainant stated that at approximately 3 p.m. she left her jacket at a desk area in the Rockefeller Library and went to the computer area. When she returned to the desk area at approximately 4 p.m. her jacket was gone.

Wednesday, Feb. 41:08 p.m. A laptop was stolen from an unlocked office on the third floor of the Pizzitola Sports Center. A possible suspect had asked an employee for some information. The male suspect declined to go with the employee into his office to retrieve the information and waited in the hall. When the employee returned with the information the person was gone. It was only minutes later that another employee noticed the laptop missing from his desk. The case is under investigation by Brown University detectives.

10:02 p.m. Officer met with the employee complainant who stated that his car was broken into. He parked his vehicle in the vicinity of 132 Bowen St. at approximately 11:30 a.m. with his GPS in the glove box. When he returned to his vehicle at approximately 10 p.m. he found the passenger side window broken and his GPS missing. Providence Police responded to take the report. There are no suspects at this time.