Microwave found, laptops not so lucky

The following summary includes all major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Feb. 5 and Feb. 18. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on open cases that are currently under investigation by the department, the PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Friday, Feb. 61:09 p.m. A Facilities Management employee reported a microwave stolen from a kitchen in Grad Center Tower A between Feb. 5 at 1 p.m. and Feb. 6 at 1 p.m. On Feb. 11, while investigating the case, a detective found that the microwave had been returned.

Tuesday, Feb. 1012:02 p.m. While conducting a fire safety check in Barbour Hall, an employee found in plain view on the coffee table in the common area of a suite a glass pipe and a bag of what could have been an illegal substance. The case has been turned over to Student Life.

5:23 p.m. An employee reported that a projector was stolen between Feb. 4 and Feb. 8 from Grad Center Tower E. On Feb. 11, while investigating the case, a detective was informed that the projector had been found in another location in the building.

Wednesday, Feb. 1110:51 p.m. A student reported that his laptop computer was stolen from his room in Emery Hall. The victim suspected the laptop was taken while he was in the bathroom taking a shower. He stated that he left his door unlocked. He left his room at approximately 10:15 p.m. and returned at approximately 10:35 p.m. There are no suspects at this time.

Friday, Feb. 135:49 p.m. While performing a security check, an officer noticed that several window screens were damaged in the stairwells of Andrews Hall. They appeared to have been kicked out. There was heavy damage to all the window sills. Facilities Management was notified.

Monday, Feb. 1610:02 a.m. A student reported that on Feb. 16, between 2 a.m. and 7 a.m., an unknown person entered her unlocked room in Diman House while she was sleeping and removed her laptop from her desk. She stated that she heard someone open the door while she was sleeping, but she did not open her eyes to see who it was.

10:40 a.m. Student reported that his laptop computer was stolen from the desk in his room in Keeney Quadrangle sometime between 1 p.m. on Feb. 15 and 8 a.m. on Feb. 16. The room was left unlocked.

10:57 a.m. A custodial supervisor reported damage on the first, third and fourth floors of Chapin House. Multiple men's rooms were littered with garbage. And a hallway had chicken bones, beer cans and other garbage on the floor. There were broken exit signs and there was also damage to a fire door. The hinges were disconnected.

Tuesday, Feb. 172:30 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the softball field in reference to damage to the press box. Investigation revealed that an unknown person or persons broke the window between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Feb. 17.

4:21 p.m. Reporting party stated that her factory rims and tires were stolen from lot 77A. On Feb. 16 at approximately 7 p.m. she parked her vehicle. When she returned Feb. 17 at approximately 9:30 a.m. she realized that her rims and tires had been stolen.

Wednesday, Feb. 18 4:15 p.m. An employee reported that her Brown-owned laptop computer was stolen from her office at 110 Elm St. between 3:45 p.m. and 4:10 p.m. No one was seen entering or leaving the office within that time.