Mixed results in weekend competitions

Over the weekend, various teams represented Brown both at home and on the road and came away with mixed results.

Fencing

The men's fencing team struggled at the Ivy League Championships at the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center on Sunday, compiling a 1-4 record to tie for fourth place. Adam Pantel '10 earned All-Ivy honors in the foil after going 3-0 against Princeton to lead Brown to a win in that event. He went 2-1 against Harvard.

Peter Tyson '12 also had a strong day, finishing with a 2-1 record against both Harvard and Princeton in the saber.

The women's squad also faltered at the OMAC, finishing with an 0-6 team record. But Aleksandra Mackiewicz '11 had a strong day for Brown, going 2-1 in her saber matches against Harvard and adding a win in her bout against Princeton.

Both fencing squads will continue their season on Saturday at Brandeis for the IFA/ECAC Tournament.

Men's lacrosse

The defending Ivy League champion men's lacrosse team started its season off with a 13-12 win over Lehigh on Saturday.

After building a 6-4 halftime lead, the Bears went up 12-6 less than two minutes into the fourth quarter. Lehigh scored five unanswered goals to cut the lead to one, 12-11, but Brown regained control and escaped with a win.

Andrew Feinberg '11 and Collins Carey '10 each tallied three goals and two assists, while Thomas Muldoon '10 and Nic Bell '09 chipped in two goals apiece. The Bears will host Hofstra on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

Men's squash

The men's squash team competed at the Hoehn Cup over the weekend, earning a No. 13 national ranking. Brown lost 6-3 to Franklin and Marshall in its first match of the competition, then rallied with a 5-4 win over St. Lawrence and a 6-3 win over Navy. Against Navy, highlights included the No. 6 match, in which Evan Besser '11 rebounded from two games down to pull out a 3-2 win, and a 3-0 win for Brad Thompson '12 at No. 4.

Track and Field

The men's track and field team competed at the USATF New England Indoor Championships over the weekend, where the Bears earned several individual wins.

Marc Howland '11 ran a personal best of 6.92 seconds to win the 60-meter dash, and Matt Jasmin '09 continued his excellent season, running a time of 8.02 for a second-place finish in the 60m hurdles. Brown also dominated the 800m, with Sean O'Brien '09, Alex Stern '10 and Thomas Elnick '12 earning the top three spots in 1:53.89, 1:53.94 and 1:56.88, respectively.

The Bears also had a strong showing in the field. Jordan Maddocks '11 won the high jump with a jump of 2.04m, while Andrew Chapin '10 and Reginald Cole '10 each jumped 14.62m to tie for the win in the triple jump.

The women also had a strong showing at the USATF-NE Indoor Championships. The Bears were particularly impressive in the field, where Rachel Biblo '11 won the long jump with a jump of 5.54m and Danielle Grunloh '10 and Brynn Smith '11 finished one-two in shot put with throws of 14.42m and 14.35m, respectively.

On the track, Kesley Ramsey '11 finished second in the 800m in 2:11.93, while Susan Scavone '12 finished second in the 60m hurdles in 8.92.

This weekend the Bears will travel to Harvard to compete in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships.

Women's water polo

Over the weekend, the women's water polo team went 2-2 at the Princeton Invitational.

Brown began the tournament with a match-up against Maryland on Saturday afternoon, which the Terrapins took, 14-10, despite three goals from Lauren Presant '10. But the Bears rebounded later that day with a 10-9 win over Bucknell, as Sarah Glick '10 notched five goals, Presant added four and Stephanie Laing '10 made nine saves in goal.

The Bears began the next day with a dominant 12-2 win over Villanova, paced by three goals each from Glick and Presant. Later on Sunday, Brown took on host Princeton in a thrilling contest that saw Glick send the game into overtime with her fourth goal of the game with just two seconds left. In overtime, though, the Tigers scored twice while holding Bruno scoreless to pull out an 11-9 win over Brown.

Equestrian

The equestrian team scored 38 points at Connecticut College to earn first place as a team, led by wins from Liz Giliberti '10 in the open flat, Cara Rosenbaum '12 in the walk trot canter and Rebecca de Sa '10 in the walk trot.

Other strong performances came from Leona Rosenblum '09, who finished second in the novice flat, Emma Bogdonoff '10, who earned third place in intermediate fences, and Emily Bourdeau '10, who rode to a third-place finish in the intermediate flat.

The team will next compete at UConn on Mar. 7.