An unidentified suspect broke into the Faunce House dressing room of one of the Spring Weekend artists during Friday's concert and stole two laptops and some cash, according to Brown Concert Agency Administrative Chair Stephen Hazeltine '09 and the Department of Public Safety.

The theft occurred while Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings were performing, but Hazeltine declined to say if the retro-soul group was the victim of the larceny.

"It's an ongoing investigation. We don't want to step on anybody's toes," Hazeltine said, adding that BCA wanted to keep the identity of the artist confidential.

In an e-mail to The Herald, Chief of Police and Director of Public Safety Mark Porter wrote that the suspect stole "several personal items," including the computers and an indeterminate amount of cash.

DPS was notified of the incident at about 10 p.m. on Friday, Porter said in an interview Monday. DPS detectives are currently investigating the incident, and are trying to ascertain the total worth of the stolen items, Porter said.

"We were very upset by the incident," Hazeltine added in an e-mail, "and immediately worked with our security partners to revise the security plan for Saturday's shows, which were incident-free."

No suspects have been identified yet, though Porter said the investigation has yielded significant clues.

"We do have a couple of leads, including a description of the suspect and possible video evidence of the crime," Porter said.

Hazeltine said a pass was necessary to gain backstage access during the concerts — a policy he said BCA clarified before Saturday's concert to remove any confusion regarding who could enter the restricted area.

"We had a very in-depth security plan for this year," Hazeltine said, adding that Green Horn Management, a private company that manages many of Brown's events, and DPS handled the situation well.

They "did everything right, and we have no complaints about them," he said.

Both Hazeltine and Daniel Ain '09, BCA's booking chair, said they will re-evaluate the security plan for next year's Spring Weekend.

BCA has been in touch with all the artists who performed during the Spring Weekend concerts to assure them that appropriate measures are being taken to identify the suspect and close the case, Hazeltine said.