Tuition to rise steeply at R.I.'s public colleges

Higher Ed News Round-up

The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education voted Monday to increase in-state tuition for its public colleges, according to the Providence Business News. The tuition hike will take effect in September 2010 and will raise tuition fees between eight and 10 percent.

Of the three public institutions in the state, the University of Rhode Island will see the largest percentage increase in tuition, at 9.9 percent. The Community College of Rhode Island, the state's only community college, will raise tuition by 8.2 percent, PBN reported.

Out-of-state tuition fees, which already run significantly higher than in-state fees, will also increase, but by smaller percentages.

The tuition hikes are in response to the state's multi-million-dollar budget deficit.

Yale murder suspect in court

Raymond Clark III, the primary suspect in the murder of Yale graduate student Annie Le, appeared in court Tuesday.

A probable cause hearing, the first step in determining whether the case against Clark will move forward, was tentatively scheduled for Oct. 20 during the brief appearance by the 24-year-old, who worked as an animal lab technician at the New Haven university.

Le was strangled and killed on Sept. 8. Her body was later found in a wall in the lab where she worked. Clark was arrested Sept. 17 after his DNA was matched to a sample found at the crime scene.

Binghamton prof says athletics criticism led to firing

A faculty member who spoke out against perceived special treatment for students on Binghamton University's basketball team was let go early last week by the upstate New York school, according to a report in the New York Times last week.

Sally Dear, a lecturer in human development at Binghamton, claimed she was fired for speaking out in an earlier Times article against the preferential treatment the university's basketball players receive from faculty and staff.

Dear had told the Times that members of the university's athletic department requested that some faculty in Dear's department alter the grades of students on the basketball team.

The university has denied that it fired her for making the allegations — which it says are untrue — and cited financial reasons for Dear's dismissal.

Over the past two weeks, six members of Binghamton's basketball team have been dismissed from the university. One was arrested on counts of selling and possessing crack cocaine.

Dear had taught at Binghamton for 11 years. She will finish out the fall semester before leaving the university.

Discrimination alleged in Emerson tenure process

Emerson College is facing allegations that its tenure-granting process is unfair to minorities, the Times reported Tuesday. The criticism comes after the school denied tenure to the only two blacks under consideration last year.

Emerson has granted tenure to only three black professors in its history.

The Boston chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination have both spoken out against the paucity of black tenured faculty at Emerson, and the commission has launched an inquiry into the school's practices.

While the college's administrators maintain that Emerson's tenure process is non-discriminatory, they have been pressured by the faculty to take action on the matter and have recently appointed an external panel to examine the issue.