A diamond to the fact that early decision applications to Brown were up 21 percent in a year of economic turmoil. Dean of Admissions James Miller '73 adorably chalks this up to the fact that Brown is a "good value," but we have to credit the rising profile of Brown's up-and-coming Watson Institute for International Studies. Google hits for "Watson + Brown" have been through the roof this year.

A diamond to the swine flu. Sure, it's a deadly pandemic that has taken thousands of lives, but here on College Hill it was a nice change of pace from the capitalist pigs that usually haunt Brown students.

A diamond to Brown's third-place 2009 football team. We'll always take bronze over brains.

A diamond to the city of Providence, which banned indoor prostitution, threatened to cancel all Brown parties and tried to tax students $150 per semester. Despite all of that grumbling, you did legalize marijuana compassion centers, and if Brown wasn't the city's largest dispensary, we might not be so gosh-darn happy.

A diamond to some of the semester's big speakers: Pervez Musharraf, Patrick Kennedy and ... OK, the second one wasn't really a big speaker. And coal to the first one.

Speaking of which, a diamond to our favorite lecture hall. Our staffers have fond memories of the many compelling lectures we've covered in a "half-full Salomon 101" — the only room on campus that's never half-empty.

A diamond to President Obama, whose inauguration fell on the same day as our first Herald issue of the year. Since then, you may have won a Nobel prize, saved the economy and appeared in a really cool slow-motion football advertisement — but at least we have an exit strategy.

Lastly, a diamond to you, dear reader — it's been real. Everyone gets a diamond this week, but you don't need to take yours with a grain of salt. Thanks for putting up with 12 months of bad puns — you've been very gourd sports.

Sincerely,

The 119th editorial board