The women's basketball team expected to hit roughly 70 percent of its shots — its season average — in a free throw fundraiser named Hoops for Haiti on Feb. 17.  But with more than just a game on the line, the Bears made 85 percent of their attempts and raised $5,000 for UNICEF.

"It's the right thing to do that we help our fellow man," said Aileen Daniels '12.  "If we can take something that we do well at and help people, then it's our duty."

The charity pledged to donate 100 percent of the money to Haiti.

The team members, coaches included, each shot 300 free throws in sets of ten. Donors contributed a certain amount of money per made free throw, usually 10 or 25 cents.

The Bears said they were happy with the amount of pledges they received. "People are donating to other organizations, so we do the best we can," said Caroline King '13. Each player received about 10 pledges.

With a goal of $3,000 in mind, the team collected pledges from the community, students and professors. Even Professor of Biology Ken Miller '70 P'02 placed money on the team's shooting ability.

"It was great to see all the support we received for a great cause," said Assistant Coach Colleen Kelly.

The top five shooters on the team hit at least 258 of 300. Hannah Passafuime '12 led Bruno, making 283 out of her 300 attempts, or 94 percent. 

"I don't like missing free throws," she said. 

It was a fun atmosphere with music blaring and shooters shouting "ten" when they made all 10 free throws in a set. The loudest may have been Head Coach Jean Marie Burr, who was able to collect several dollar-per-make pledges.

This isn't the first time that the women have participated in events to help a greater cause. Every year, Bruno partakes in breast cancer awareness activities where everyone sports pink shoelaces and headbands.

"We like doing these events," Passafuime said. "They bring us closer as a team."