Correction appended

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has," were the words of Margaret Mead that University Chaplain Rev. Janet Cooper Nelson echoed at the LGBTQ Youth Vigil Monday afternoon.

The vigil was held in remembrance of the six young men from across the country — ranging in age from 13 to 19 — who committed suicide over the last three weeks after being bullied for their sexual orientation.

On a somber and rainy afternoon, students, professors, administrators and others gathered on the Main Green to honor the dead and raise awareness of the devastating realities facing members of the LGBTQ community.

Kelly Garrett, coordinator of the LGBTQ Resource Center, who oversaw the vigil, thanked those gathered for coming.

"The good news is that we can all do something to help the LGBTQ community and that is why we are here today," Garrett said, reminding those gathered to take advantage of the many resources offered by the University, including the Third World Center, the Chaplain's Office and Psychological Services, among others.

"There is someone here for you if you are in need," she added.

A Department of Public Safety officer also made an announcement, saying, "With the recent tragedies that have occurred, we at Brown DPS want you to know that you have a strong ally in this department."

Cooper Nelson was next to speak. She said she was not surprised to see so many gathered where Brown has come together in the past to support one another and important causes. Urging people to act out of kindness, Cooper Nelson denounced both cruelty and indifference.

"Let your tears fall for them," she said, "and let those tears be transformed" into actions to prevent future tragedies.

Anne-Caroline Sieffert GS spoke next of the critical need to put an end to bullying and other hate crimes.

"As a student of literature and a survivor of bullying, I believe in the power of words," Sieffert said. "I survived by telling myself there was an end point, but I wish someone had stepped in."

"Those kids shouldn't have been names on the news, but brilliant graduates," she added. "No one deserves to die."

Head Chair of the Queer Alliance Aida Manduley '11 encouraged people to act now and not to lose the momentum recent events have spurred in them.

"There is always something you can do," she said. Whether for LGBTQ support or other arenas, Manduley urged people to "go out there and do outreach" both at Brown and in Providence.

Manduley added that she found it both poignant and interesting that next week is Coming Out Week and wondered if those young men would have gone through with their suicides had known there was such support.

"We have to grieve our dead, but we also have to celebrate our living, and that is where support comes in," Manduley said.

As the crowd lit candles provided by the LGBTQ resource center, Lee McDaniel '94 spoke of the everyone's right to choose their own destinies, no matter how different they are.

He concluded his remarks by quoting the Haddaway song, saying, "What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more."

"There is that love for you here," he said, before leading the crowd in a chant, saying, "If you're gay, please stay. If you're queer, we want you here."

Friends of Raymond Chase, a Johnson and Wales University student who committed suicide last week, also spoke.

A Johnson and Wales student, who did not give his name, praised Chase as "the epitome of the model student."

"Yes, he was gay, but that was just a part of him," said the student. "He was the definition of young, fly and flashy."

The student then asked those gathered to make some noise in honor of Chase because the brief moment of silence was not enough. "For Ray this whole field should be full," he said. "He touched everyone. ... I'm sitting here in tears and I don't cry."

As the crowd cheered, Chase's friends gathered together in brief song on the steps of Faunce House, grieving the loss of their friend.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Raymond Chase, a student at Johnson and Wales University, faced harassment before recently committing suicide. Chase was not known to be a victim of bullying. The Herald regrets the error.