This year, the Office of Residential Life approved nearly twice as many rising juniors to live off-campus as it did last year, though about 150 students remain on the waitlist, according to Richard Bova, senior associate dean of residential and dining services.

About 250 rising juniors have already received off-campus permission, Bova said. This figure compares to between 125 and 150 students who were approved last year. Roughly 900 seniors were granted approval, representing no significant increase over the previous year.

ResLife's goal remains "a bed for everyone," with no students residing in kitchens or lounges, Bova said. To achieve this goal, the office approved students for off-campus housing earlier than in previous years.

But it is unclear whether the increase will solve ResLife's ongoing housing woes. Bova said ResLife may approve more students currently on the waitlist after the final size of the class of 2015 is determined in April.

But notice of approval in late spring may make it difficult for students to negotiate other off-campus housing arrangements before leaving Providence for the summer.

Local landlord Charlie Samos said demand for housing around campus has increased in the past year. Samos rents predominantly to Brown students and students from the Rhode Island School of Design. He said he predicts rental rates and demand for housing will continue to rise somewhat as the economy pulls out of the recession. While demand for housing has increased over recent years, it still remains lower than four years ago.

Shifting more students off campus will serve as a one-year buffer until the renovations to 315 Thayer St. — a future dormitory — are finished in summer 2012, Bova told The Herald in October.

Bova said the current housing situation is on target, though rooming assignments have the potential to become "quite hectic."  Housing arrangements can fluctuate as students take medical and personal leave, change their academic standing and shift their commuter status and study abroad arrangements, he said. Students often do not make these decisions until June.

The University will also place students in off-campus houses not traditionally zoned as dormitories. The University owns 150 residential housing units on and around campus, according to the auxiliary housing website.

Claudia Norton '13, who is currently living in a triple, said she plans to live off campus next year. Off-campus life is "a good opportunity for growth and a good learning experience," she said.