Editorial: Teach for America, learn for America

A hallmark of Brown students is their proclivity to forge unique combinations of studies. Yet as those of us pursuing double concentrations, independent concentrations or independent studies know, our goals sometimes prove overly ambitious.

With this in mind, we were initially skeptical of a new partnership between Teach for America and the Urban Education Policy program. Combining practical teaching experience with education policy studies makes sense. But we were concerned that the two extremely rigorous programs would not complement each other and would instead be competing stressors for participants trying to succeed in both.   

After further research, we are optimistic that the collaboration will indeed be a worthwhile addition to the University's degree offerings. Director of the Urban Education Policy Program Kenneth Wong, professor of education and chair of the department, said the program's structure was designed with the demands of TFA in mind. Participants will not begin their Urban Education Policy studies until their first year of TFA is complete, allowing TFA corps members to get through the strenuous first year of teaching before beginning graduate studies.

Prospective students will apply in January but do not have to commit until the spring. Staggering the application process against the school-year calendar gives applicants valuable time on the job to help them evaluate whether to take on additional graduate studies.

This non-traditional schedule should allow participants to better handle the demands of simultaneously teaching and getting a master's degree. Wong said the policy program's structure and culture give him confidence that students will not slip through the cracks and see their classroom performance struggle — either as teachers or as students. With a low student-faculty ratio, the policy program keeps students and professors in close contact, increasing the likelihood that problems handling the dual program will be successfully resolved.

Furthermore, Wong said the policy program features a strong administrative staff focused on assisting students with logistical issues. This point is particularly important — a current TFA corps member told us that poor communication and coordination between TFA and graduate programs is a red flag for those considering degrees.

Still, it is crucial that new University programs demonstrate they are achieving their aims, no matter how good they sound on paper. Wong said he is very mindful of the need to evaluate the program as it progresses. Among the criteria he cited, we were pleased to hear that he will pay attention to how involved participants are in extracurricular Urban Education Policy activities and how much they are collaborating with other students. Focusing on factors like these will help ensure that participants are fully involved in the Brown degree program and are not sacrificing their effort here for the demands of teaching.

If successful, we believe this program could help make Rhode Island more attractive to prospective TFA corps members. It might even help retain a few well-qualified individuals in the state after they complete their studies. Brunonians frequently strive to combine theoretical and practical studies, and we look forward to tracking the progress of this new effort.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.