Editorial: New leadership for new challenges

When Brown last went searching for a new president, it sought a clean break with the unpopular, authoritarian Gordon Gee. Now, the University faces a much different challenge — finding a successor to one of the most beloved and respected of its 18 presidents. As with any organization seeking to replace an icon, Brown cannot seek President Ruth Simmons' carbon copy. As the Undergraduate Council of Students prepares to name the student representatives to the Campus Advisory Committee, we would like to add our voice to the campus discussion about the kind of leader we would like to see.

Simmons will leave a distinctive legacy at Brown. Her ambitious Campaign for Academic Enrichment expanded the size of the faculty, increased research support, made the College need-blind and improved facilities. At the same time, her national standing has benefited Brown by increasing its profile and attracting donors. We judge her tenure a success to be sure, though not an unqualified one.

There have been real trade-offs associated with Simmons' agenda. The increased focus on research has come at the cost of the traditional emphasis on undergraduates, the element that distinguishes Brown as a university-college. Big plans to improve facilities have distracted from small quality-of-life issues that should take weeks, not years, to address. Simmons' extensive travel has also diminished her presence on campus, making her a remote — if universally admired — figure.

These are three essential concerns we hope Simmons' successor will address. First, we would like a president who prioritizes the undergraduate experience, while consolidating Brown's gains as a research institution. This means an emphasis on faculty members' undergraduate teaching, advising and mentorship, as well as increased support for undergraduate students' research, projects and organizations. We cannot let the pressure to compete with our "peer institutions" distract us from Brown's unique and vital undergraduate focus.

Second, we hope the next president will have a greater presence on campus. A president actively engaged with student and faculty life will energize and enrich the community. It is important that the next president play a more visible role in Brown's day-to-day life.

Third, student life is an essential priority for our next president. Though new dorms will benefit future students, they will do little to improve the lives of current students. We hope the student representatives to the committee address everyday, quality-of-life issues. If students do not emphasize these modest but significant concerns — replacing gym equipment, ensuring that long-term renovation and construction does not come at the expense of current students' experiences, making meal plan more economical — who else on the committee will?

Simmons answered the challenges of her time extraordinarily well. Now, Brown is a different place facing different demands. It thus requires a leader with different priorities. We could not have asked for a person of better character to lead us — Simmons' gravitas, inspirational personal narrative, warmth and thoughtfulness are qualities we seek in her successor. People of such stature are rare — we have been lucky to have her and hope the University's next president will be equally outstanding.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.