The Office of International Programs is offering several new options for summer abroad programs this year, including an architecture program in Barcelona and history, language and art programs in Greece and Turkey. The OIP will also offer a studio art program in a yet-to-be-determined location in Spain.

Originally directed by the Office of Continuing Education, summer study abroad programs are now managed by the OIP to link "undergraduate experiences abroad," wrote Dana Pratt, manager of short term study abroad and global initiatives, in an email to The Herald.

The new summer study abroad programs will remain structurally similar to current ones, she wrote.

Pratt added that the OIP is working to communicate more with the departments leading these programs. It is also considering environmental issues, health care and business as themes for future summer programs, she wrote.

A downside of summer study abroad programs is that University financial aid does not apply to tuition and living expenses. But the OIP is keeping fees at a minimum and offers a small number of need-based grants, Pratt wrote. The OIP also recommends loans and summer jobs for students in shorter programs to help reduce costs. But Pratt added that despite financial issues, there seems to be a "significant interest" in the programs.

Ibeabuchi Oteh '13 said he is considering summer study abroad as an alternative to an internship. He called such programs important cultural experiences, but said he wishes there was more dialogue between the OIP and the Office of Financial Aid to better address financial concerns. But he would pursue a summer study abroad regardless of financial aid, he said.

Summer study abroad programs range from four to seven weeks long and vary in enrollment from 12 to 35 students among the seven offered programs.