Historic Pawtuxet Village offers bay views, good food

Both historic and quaint, Pawtuxet Village — located along the Pawtuxet River on the border of Warwick and Cranston — is a treasure undiscovered by most students.

Without a car, the trek to Pawtuxet is not highly convenient. But for those adventurous enough to navigate the Rhode Island Public Transit Authority, the 20 to 30 minute bus ride may be all the more rewarding.

Wedged between colorful houses on the right and the panoramic Narragansett Bay on the left, an open road stops at a dead end. When you can drive no further, you have found the Rhode Island Yacht Club.

In the harbor, a dozen or so sailboats float upon the glassy surface. Looking out on the shades of blue of the sky and sea, it is easy to forget that it is winter. Seagulls wade in the shallow water at the foot of a small white sailboat — a scene you won't find on College Hill.

Walking through the streets feels like a journey through history. Some of the old shingle and brick buildings look neglected and yearn for a paint job. Blue and white street signs on every corner boast the year 1772 — the year in which Rhode Islanders attacked the British HMS Gaspee. Today, many consider the attack to be "America's First Blow for Freedom."

Along the Pawtuxet River, a freestanding sign marks the limits of Providence as laid out in the Native American deed to Roger Williams.

Deserted streets

Dear Hearts Ice Cream Parlor, a rickety, beige-paneled building, sits on the street corner. Established in 1980, Dear Hearts looks as if it has not been renovated since its founding. Visitors looking for a treat are out of luck — the shop is closed for the winter.

But a bit further up the road, Little Falls Cafe brings vibrancy to the deserted neighborhood. The cafe, with a bright blue awning and draped white lights, is the liveliest shop in the afternoon.

Young people in a group wave hello through the frosty window while sipping on their lattes. Inside, you can find a cup of Mill's coffee, sold locally by a family business just north of nearby Roger Williams Park.

The eclectic cafe is also a pizzeria that brings a slice of New York to Rhode Island, boasting thin crust pizza. But Little Falls is more than a restaurant — it is a social hub that brings the community together by featuring a different artist each month and drawing locals into its cozy interior.

L'attitude Modern Eatery is a family-owned and operated restaurant, identifiable by its blue and yellow striped awning. Three men sit sipping on beers at a wooden wraparound bar that evokes a country western feel.

The River's Edge Flowers and Gifts is a brightly decorated store that sells flowers, pottery, jewelry, soap and other locally crafted trinkets.

The Cupcakerie is Pawtuxet's much-loved gem. On top of the business that owner and baker Kristin Brennan conducts in her small store, she also sells her cupcakes in farmer's markets around Rhode Island.

Brennan and her friendly staff use local ingredients whenever possible to create her signature cupcakes. The menu includes "the Grasshopper," a mint chocolate cupcake, the "Rabbits Delight," carrot cake, "the Old Fashioned," a buttercream and vanilla cake and even "the Vegan," bound to be a hit with those who stick to the Roots and Shoots line at the Sharpe Refectory. You can grab a cupcake and continue your stroll, or rest in the picturesque gazebo in the scenic park overlooking the bay.

Dancing in the Rhodes

A few hundred Brown students should find themselves in Pawtuxet this March, when the Class Coordinating Board is scheduled to host a gala at Rhodes on the Pawtuxet, a ballroom venue that hugs the banks of the Pawtuxet River just north of the village. The CCB has held their annual gala at Rhodes for the past several years.

Michael Quinn '13, who is organizing the gala, wrote in an email to The Herald that he chose the space "for its beautiful view, nice management, great food and one-stop service."

Aaron Messina, general manager at Rhodes, said he is very excited about the event. He described the venue as a historic ballroom made up of a single space.

"There are going to be some very interesting set-ups done, and they will utilize the space as it was meant to be — as a dance hall," he said.

The event, "A Kiss on the Lips: A Masquerade Gala," could be an opportunity for undergraduatess to leave the College Hill bubble and experience a new part of town. Life on campus can be so hectic that it is hard to see past Brown's backyard. But a lazy day excursion to Pawtuxet Village may introduce you to one of Providence's best-kept secrets.