Assistant Professor of Engineering Andrew Peterson was awarded the Young Investigator Award three weeks ago by the Office of Naval Research. The award was given to 26 out of more than 350 applicants and offers recipients grants to help fund research projects that show promise for the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps.

Peterson's proposed research will focus on how to reduce the use of fossil fuels through the production of carbon-based fuels from renewable energy sources. While the grant amount is still being negotiated, it will likely be around $500,000, with other forms of support coming from both the University and the Navy, he said.

Peterson, who joined the School of Engineering in January, said he now feels he has the security to set up a lab and pursue his research.

He said he is "obviously very excited."

Since he has only been at Brown for three months, Peterson said the Young Investigator Award came as a "big surprise" and a "big delight."

"Young faculty members have a particularly tough time starting their research program because of the highly competitive funding environment," so Peterson "is off to a fantastic start," wrote Dean of Engineering Larry Larson in an email to The Herald.

The Navy does not grant many awards, and Peterson's receipt of the Young Investigator Award is "a great honor," said Eric Suuberg, associate dean of engineering for research and graduate initiatives.

If his research is successful, Peterson said he expects the Navy to be a "potential early adopter" of this technology, as it would allow the Navy to synthesize its own fuel.

In the fall, Peterson will be teaching ENGN 1120: "Chemical and Biochemical Reactor Design," which he said will be very relevant to his research.