Updated June 19 to include comment from Carey.

Russell Carey '91 MA'06, senior vice president for corporation affairs and governance, will take over for Richard Spies, executive vice president for planning and senior adviser to the president, when he steps down July 1, President Ruth Simmons announced in an email to the community June 6. Carey will hold the modified title of executive vice president for planning and policy. 

"Russell will work closely with President-elect Christina Paxson, the provost, the executive vice president for finance and administration, the Corporation and members of the community to ensure effective University-wide efforts in planning and policy, in keeping with the University's overall mission," Simmons wrote.

Though the title has changed, Spies said his successor will handle similar responsibilities. The addition to the title is a "recognition that we're just at a different stage," he said, citing new projects like the upcoming expansion of the School of Engineering.

"I think it reflects a different sense of how to organize planning, a different sense of where Brown is in its needs," Spies said. "It reflects (Paxson) putting together a leadership team in a somewhat different way, based on what she thinks will be most effective for the next decade."

Carey stressed the importance of having a plan when Paxson first takes office. 

Paxson has "talked about undertaking a planning process in the first year," he said, highlighting issues like furthering the University's relationship with Providence. Carey added that the plan would "unfold" as Paxson navigates the coming months.

Spies announced his intention to step down at the end of the calendar year in February, five months after Simmons said she would not be returning for a 12th year as University president. Spies will complete his primary duties and leave office in July, though he will remain on campus to fulfill other responsibilities until December.

Carey will continue to oversee the Corporation office when he assumes the executive vice president position, though he will serve Paxson's presidency primarily.

"When you're in these positions, you work closely with the president and closely with other senior officers and other members of the team," he said. "My expectation is that I'll continue to have a part in that team."

"I do now and will continue to serve at the pleasure of the president," Carey added.

Carey has held several positions in Simmons' administration, including student life officer, assistant to the provost and assistant to the president. Named to his current position in 2008, he "led the University's comprehensive enterprise risk assessment and planning function, which has been cited as a national model," staffed the presidential search committee and has been a key figure in Paxson's transition process, Simmons wrote in her email.

Spies expressed enthusiasm for Carey's selection.

"He doesn't have to get up to speed," Spies said. "He doesn't have to question the basic goals that have been set - he was part of setting them."

"Brown will be a better place because of the work he does and because of the team he is is a part of," Spies added. 

Carey said he looks forward to contributing further to the University. 

"I've had a great experience at Brown, both as an undergraduate and in the administration," he said. "I'm very pleased and grateful to have the opportunity to continue that."