Technological fields to dominate Career Fair

Over 30 employers from industries including finance, technology and media will be present

Thirty employers will gather in the Kasper Multipurpose Room for the Spring Career Fair today, an annual event held by the Center for Careers and Life After Brown that provides job, internship and networking opportunities to undergraduate and graduate students.

“It’s a great resource and one of many offered at our center,” said Andrew Simmons, director of the CareerLAB. He added that the fair is as much for first-years, sophomores and juniors looking for internships as it is for seniors and graduate students looking for jobs.

“If (students) walk away feeling like they didn’t find anything that excited them, they should come to (the CareerLAB),” Simmons said. “Often you have to go beyond the Career Fair to really zero in on the things that inspire you.”

Of the 30 employers at the fair, more than two-thirds come from finance, consulting and technology sectors. The remaining companies are from other fields, including advertising, education, management and construction groups.

The “high visibility” of finance, consulting and technology does not indicate a University focus on those industries, Simmons said. Those particular areas are known for their concentrated recruiting, he added.

The CareerLAB reaches out to many different fields, and some companies also reach out to the University, he said.

“There are very few sectors who do that kind of structured recruiting,” Simmons said. Most students enter fields that don’t recruit as intensely on college campuses, he added.

Student demand for greater on-campus opportunities in other career paths was one of the reasons the University decided to inaugurate the Brown/RISD Nonprofit Career Fair today. This second fair will host 38 employers from various nonprofit industries in Sayles Hall. Both fairs will take place today from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

About 1,500 students attended last semester’s career fair, which brought 95 employers to campus. Simmons said fairs in the spring generally attract a smaller number of people, but he expects a larger turnout this year due to the nonprofit fair option.