The following is an account of crime events that took place this weekend, reported to The Herald by Deputy Chief of Police for the Department of Public Safety Paul Shanley:

1. Between Thursday night and Friday morning

An unknown suspect broke into the Building for Environmental Research and Teaching between 5 p.m. Thursday and 6:30 a.m. Friday, and appears to have attempted to steal $5,000 worth of copper pipes from the building, which is currently under construction. Wire ties securing the fencing in front of the building, formerly known as Hunter Laboratory, were found cut and the pipes were found bundled together and left behind. The incident resembles a completed copper pipping robbery committed last week in Brown Stadium, but DPS is unsure whether the two incidents are related because pipe theft has become a prevalent crime in the Providence area.

2. Sunday morning and night

Four students living on Wriston Quadrangle reported their laptops stolen from their rooms. Three of the students, Marcy House residents, reported the robberies to have taken place between 3 a.m. and 9 a.m. The fourth, a resident of Olney House, reported the robbery to have taken place later in the night, between 9 p.m. and just after midnight. There was no evidence of forced entry in any of the cases. DPS has little information on suspects in these cases, but laptop and cell phone thefts have been a frequent occurrence on campus this year, particularly in unlocked dorm rooms.

3. Sunday night

DPS received a complaint of a man exposing his genitals at 155 Williams Street at around 9:30 p.m. Because the incident occurred off campus, DPS collaborated with Providence police. The identity of the man remains unknown, but the witness described him as a white man wearing a black sweatshirt. A series of public nudity complaints took place on and near John Street in 2011, but there appears to be no connection between the cases.