Goal in extra time gives men's soccer key Ivy victory

The win keeps the Bears in contention for the Ivy title, while diminishing Penn’s chances

Bruno earned a dramatic double-overtime victory Saturday at home against Ivy foe Penn.

The Bears (6-6-3, 2-1-2 Ivy) snatched the winning goal in the 105th minute to down the Quakers (6-8-1, 3-1-1) and earn their third win in a row. The team is now tied with Yale for fourth place in the Ivy League after the victory with two games left to play.

Bruno controlled play in the game’s opening minutes, and its dominance in midfield led to the first scoring chance of the match.

Voltaire Escalona ’14 received the ball outside the 18-yard box and quickly fired a shot across goal into the bottom corner, putting the Bears up 1-0. Bruno outshot the Quakers eight to seven in the half.

“The first goal is very important, especially when you’re at home,” said Head Coach Patrick Laughlin. “It’s great to come out and set the tone.”

Penn emerged with a vengeance in the second half, pressuring Bruno’s backline with four corner kicks in the first 15 minutes of the period. The Bears defense blocked shots on multiple occasions throughout the half to protect Josh Weiner ’14 in goal and keep the lead alive.

“In the second half, we came out flat,” Laughlin said. “We weren’t able to play as well as we would have hoped, so credit to Penn because of their pressure.”

The Quakers’ perseverance paid off in the 78th minute when a shot from Duke Lacroix found the back of the net to tie the game at 1-1. Penn outshot Bruno 10-1 in the period, but neither team could find a way to break the deadlock before the end of regulation.

The two sides remained level for the first overtime period, despite a shot from Escalona and three shots from Penn.

The Bears notched the game-winner in the 105th minute. An assist from Tariq Akeel ’16 found Daniel Taylor ’15, who launched a shot into the side-netting to give his team a 2-1 victory.

Bruno looks to keep its winning streak alive against Yale (4-9-2, 2-1-2) Saturday in New Haven.

“We’re concentrating on putting in a good performance away, which has been difficult for us,” Laughlin said. “They’re a tough opponent, but we know we can come out and play well.”