Enriquez '16: Neknominations and social media

Nominations are evil. I am sure I am going to get one or two just for writing this op-ed. I have already received one.

In this new age, the modern definition of a “nomination,” at least as long as the fad lasts, has absolutely nothing to do with politics or prestige — it’s more about infamy. I’m talking about “neknominations,” the act of “necking” a large quantity of alcohol.

To initiate such a nomination, a friend challenges you through a Facebook video. When nominated, the objective is to out-drink, out-weird or out-gross your nominator. For proof, nominated individuals must film themselves guzzling beer as rapidly as they can. Sometimes people drink motor oil and goldfish, or maybe they drain the blood of a beaver— actually, the beaver thing hasn’t happened yet. Sometimes they even jump in an ice river and die — literally. As a reward for your bravery — or stupidity — you are then allowed to nominate two or three friends of your own.

The Internet has allowed this simple idea to spread rapidly. Especially for young adult males.  Just a month ago, I had the good fortune of being entirely ignorant of neknominations even as the ‘game’ spread from Australia to England and South Africa. Now, there is a new necking video in my newsfeed every day. Oh, and five people have died since then. It is absurdly saddening that people could be driven to accidental death by such a game.

The millions of people who have survived their challenges will still have  their bold, red, underlined Internet tattoos reading “stupid alcoholic” on their foreheads. It’s not like you can just hide your mistake under your workshirt. With Internet search algorithms becoming more sophisticated and privacy rights being violated every day by governments and businesses alike, it is only going to get easier for an employer to search your name with “nomination,” “shots,” “beer” and discover your transgression.

Why do people do neknominations? Why would I, one of the nek-haters, even consider a world where I would do one? And why are neknominations trending only among young adult males?

The game works because it is compelling. It is so hard to reject the process when all of your friends have put themselves on the line alongside you. Especially when your college male ego is often linked to your drinking prowess. When I was nominated, I had already started writing this column. This op-ed was going to be a full-out dump on the whole game. Then I realized the absolute power of a respected friend challenging you to do something better than he has.

The game design is genius. There is irrefutable evidence that the challenger has put himself out there. There is a human element that is hard to ignore as well as the psychological manipulation inherent in a dare. This type of drinking game would never work if people sent little messages to each other detailing their drinking timeline and daring them to go harder — there is no proof in written text. People would just ignore the message. Neknominations are a case study in how to spread an idea across the world: Use the Internet and compel people to get involved in your idea, then add an element of competition. Boom.

Neknominations are a clear example of the negative effects of social media. But as the Arab Spring demonstrated, social media has the incredible power to change countries and empower individuals. Obviously, there was an impossible-to-ignore challenge in the oppression of Arab governments that caused people to act out of passion and necessity. Neknominations come from a level of leisure that the citizens of Arab Spring nations wouldn’t have dreamed of during their uprisings. But just because the drinking game is a form of amusement doesn’t mean it can’t be turned to good uses.

The good news is, despite our seemingly global male stupidity, most of us realize that neknominations are idiotic. That acknowledgment has started a trend in South Africa to turn this online dare game into a cause for good. One man, Brent Lindeque of South Africa, used his nomination to give a homeless man a full meal — including a chocolate bar. That video has earned 750,000 views in the month since it was posted. Lindeque saw the power of the nomination structure and rebranded it. His idea is a good one — we should help him spread it.

Nico Enriquez ’16 would like to nominate Gail, Christina Paxson and George of Darwin’s fame. You have a lifetime. He can be reached at nenriquez3@gmail.com.